Thread: Stream music to Ubuntu through WLAN

Beans

Question Stream music to Ubuntu through WLAN

Hello dear community,

The thing is, I have a cell phone (OS Symbian 9.3) that can stream music through WLAN but I don't know exactly how it works. When I look for a receiver, it says "nothing found".

The cell phone is already connected to WLAN, Internet works, but I can't get this feature to work. I guess I have to install some kind of software in my 10.04 Ubuntu box, but I have no idea which one it is at all, or what steps to follow. I'm not very skilled.

Any help will be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Stream music to Ubuntu through WLAN

Are you trying to stream to or from your phone?

Beans

Hi nothingspecial,

I want to stream from the phone to an Ubuntu running computer that is connected to speakers.

I've been reading recently, and found out that this feature is called UPnP. My router already has this feature activated.

On Windows I found a program called "SimpleCenter" which should work, but I haven't managed yet to get it working properly. The good news is that I did some progress, because the cell phone detects SimpleCenter on the Windows computer as an external player device.

I guess on Ubuntu something similar must be available, and that there should be a guide somewhere, with the steps to follow to accomplish this. But I couldn't find info anywhere.
    Anybody can help?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most of the music players available in Ubuntu will play a stream. Perhaps if you post the exact make and model of your phone, the internetnet will tell us the default address of the stream.

Beans

Question Re: Stream music to Ubuntu through WLAN

The model is Nokia 5730 XM, It uses the Symbian platform, version number 9.3, also known as S60 3.2.

I just found XBMC and it worked like a charm, I couldn't believe it! You say it should work with other players? Like...?

I'm very glad I got it working with XMBC though, I didn't know such a program, and I'm impressed by it in all aspects.

I got the telephone working as a remote too with a little Python app.

Do you know any other players that should work? Just for curiosity!