Thread: Google Chrome started in sudo mode stays on even when terminal closed.

Beans

Post Google Chrome started in sudo mode stays on even when terminal closed.

I've noticed something with Google Chrome which -might- be considered a "security issue" on Ubuntu, but if it isn't then please just disregard this.

At some point (and this is a separate problem I'm not asking for help on here, though feel free if you think you might know something that could help), during the past several installations, I eventually reach the point with Google Chrome that if I want to be able to store profiles and use all extensions, I have to start it up in terminal with sudo. Otherwise, starting it as just a normal user, it will tell me that my profile cannot be read or stored, and that some features may thus be unavailable.

Okay, that's a problem, but not a real big one to me. But when I start it in terminal, I usually have to keep the terminal open or it closes Chrome, too - a good thing, I suppose, since I'd started Chrome as root. However, if I have the extension "Chromey Calculator" active and detached, I can close the terminal window and when I close the warning that closing the terminal will terminate the active process in progress, miracle of miracles it leaves the browser running and in-tact - su priveleges and all.

I actually -like- this ability, but yet I can see how for some, that might constitute a security concern of some sort. However, if it doesn't, then might I request it be used (assuming others can replicate it) to enable one to do that with -all- apps started from terminal? It's kind of a pain having to keep the terminal open just to run an application started in it.

Extra info: I've tried launching Chrome from an icon set to call up Chrome with the gksudo command so that I can enter my root-user privelege password, but that doesn't work. It still gives me the "profile can't be read" error. Why would it get me to the right place with a sudo command in Termnial, but not a gksudo command spawned by a launcher?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Google Chrome started in sudo mode stays on even when terminal closed.

You should not run Chrome with root privileges. Period. If you feel the need to, then something is very, very wrong.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    You should not run Chrome with root privileges. Period. If you feel the need to, then something is very, very wrong.
    +1. Running anything as root is a secuity risk. You possibly need to add your user to the appropriate group at a wild guess, or change a permission setting in the Chrome config.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by UncleClover View Post
    Otherwise, starting it as just a normal user, it will tell me that my profile cannot be read or stored, and that some features may thus be unavailable.
    Check the permissions on .config/* in your home directory.

I would agree with the previous posters that running a Chrome as root is a bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

The problem is most likely is that you have a lingering process running as root that has your profile owned by root.

As far as a terminal is concerned Chrome's extension may be detaching the process from the controlling terminal and would remain running if the terminal is closed.
    Regards,

Karlson

Beans

Thank you VERY much! I had already been through the other suggestions & more, but this one turned out to be it. I couldn't figure out what permissions were getting goofed up. While I'm not too new to Linux as a whole, I've not delved too far into its directory structure to date - I find it a bit intimidating. But I changed the permissions on the folders you mentioned, and that fixed it up perfectly. Thanks again VERY much!

Quote Originally Posted by karlson View Post
    Check the permissions on .config/* in your home directory.

I would agree with the previous posters that running a Chrome as root is a bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

The problem is most likely is that you have a lingering process running as root that has your profile owned by root.

As far as a terminal is concerned Chrome's extension may be detaching the process from the controlling terminal and would remain running if the terminal is closed.