Thread: Home server suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Home server suggestion

I'd like to buy a new home server (for mail,backup,webserver and subsonic) and I'd like some suggestions, especially for the noise-power consumption-cost since it has to stay in my (small) house.
    I'm attracted by the HP Proliant microserver (Athlon II Neo N36L / 1.3 GHz) that some local reseller offers for 180€. What do do you think any other suggestions???

If I posted in the wrong forum you can whip me to death

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Home server suggestion

When I bought my home server, my main concern was the budget. At that moment, and I think still it is, a refurbish (or recertified) Pentium 4 was my best option. Today they sell here in the US as low as US$ 99.

I don't have enough experience with AMD to comment on the HP, but I believe the Intel Atom processors are as low, or even lower powered that almost any AMD.

Now, if you can afford them, the lowest Home/Small-Office server that I know are ARM based. Unfortunately, I haven't found any inexpensive enough to compete with the deals around.

Here's a broadcast from the Linux Action Show (from Jupiter Broadcasting), that reviews and impressive ARM server: Exito B3 Server (based on Debian!).

Just some thoughts, I hope it helps.
    Regards.
    Last edited by papibe; July 11th, 2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Won't need much if that's all you are going to be using it for.

I looked up that HP server and it's a dual core with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive.

You can upgrade it, of course, but that would do for what you want to use it for.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's a broadcast from the Linux Action Show (from Jupiter Broadcasting), that reviews and impressive ARM server: Exito B3 Server (based on Debian!).
    Yeah but the exito 3b server costs more than the Proliant microserver and I'm not very acquainted with the ARM architecture. Still it's a very nice machine!!

Won't need much if that's all you are going to be using it for.
    You think it's exaggerated? Do you know something else that can run as a server and won't need a weekly heat sink hygiene?

Thanks for the replies!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kappa View Post
    You think it's exaggerated? Do you know something else that can run as a server and won't need a weekly heat sink hygiene?

Thanks for the replies!
    Nah, it's a nice machine. It would work fine for what you want to use it for. Nice price too.

You might be able to use it as a VM host, if you wanted, since it's a dual core and can take up to 8GB of memory.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi.

I have a setup very similar to this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-066-_-Product
    It has been running as a headless home server for one and a half year, no noise, very low power consumption, and low heatsink maintenance. The only difference is that mine has the dual core atom 330 cpu at 1.5 GHz. That was the last one of the Asus boxes with HW virtualization. I actually host a Win2k3 server in Virtualbox on my setup. It should manage all your tasks like a breeze.
    AMD Phenom II x6 2.8/3.3, 8 GB ram, GTX 550Ti 1024MB gfx, Xubuntu 13.10.