Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

Beans

11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

This happens randomly after a reboot: I can move the mouse cursor and it works perfectly only on the Unity sidebar or whatever it's called. I can fire up applications, but once they're up they completely ignore any clicks or mouse movements (the main menu does not appear on the top bar if I move the cursor in the location that usually makes it appear). They only recognise a click on the close/iconize/maximize buttons.

The mouse works: as I said I can move the cursor and it recognises clicks on the sidebar and the window control buttons; plus, it's connected via a KVM switch both to the Linux box and to a Windows box (from which I'm writing this) and in Windows it works perfectly.

The pattern used to be this: usually while running Firefox, the mouse and keyboard stop responding, and sometimes the whole desktop graphics become corrupted. I can Alt+F1 and go to a text-mode console, but nothing short of a reboot "fixes" things. After the reboot, about two times out of five everything works, three times out of five I get the situation described above.

For the last few hours or so, however, no amount of rebooting and sacrificing goats to the gods protecting sociopaths and Linux software developers have been able to restore mouse functionality. I click on my username on the login window (there it works perfectly), enter the password and then only the Unity sidebar works: again, the mouse cursor moves, only clicks (right and left) are ignored, as are hotspots. In ubuntu classic there is no place where I can click and launch applications, btw - once I get in I'm basically blocked and can't do anything

Has anyone encountered a problem like this? Does it sound like a known bug? Or, at least, does anyone have any idea on where to find more info?

Beans

Re: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications - more info

Something else I had not noticed previously. With some applications, once fired up the mouse only works inside those apps - e.g. Chromium. Once I start it, the mouse works perfectly, I can follow links and all, but it doesn't work outside the Chromium window (not even to close or iconize the app)

This behaviour is however random - if I close Chromium with Alt-f4 and start it again, it could work like before or in the opposite way, ignoring mouse clicks

Beans

Re: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

Hi,
    I have the same problem (ubuntu 11.04 - laptop dell latitude e4300).
    The mouse randomly stops working. The keyboard works still fine, so I have to manually close all the apps by alt+F4, then log out and log in, and it is working again.
    It happens two times a day, so it's not pleasant
    Touf

Beans

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I'm using Wubi and installing Ubuntu over Win7. Never had this problem before with previous versions. I tried to reinstall several times using both the 32 and 64bit versions.

The only way to fix for now is with the reboot but then the problem comes back only after a few clicks. This makes using the interface with the mouse impossible.

Using the keyboard only, I was able to install all the updates and drivers for my ATI graphics card but that doesnt help one bit.

Help!

System used:
    I7 860 on ASUS P7P55D
    8Go RAM
    ATI 5850
    Res: 1080P
    Installed OS on a 1TB drive

Beans

I see the same problem with my Dell Laptop Latitude E6510. However, I see it only in the docked mode and connected to Logitech mouse.

I can use Laptop touchpad fine. All clicks with touchpad respond as expected.

Thanks for any help.

-Kishore

Beans

Did anybody of you fix this problem? Did an update fix your problem? I seem to have similar symptoms of this mouse problem. I am using a wireless logitech mouse connected to sandy bridge desktop computer.

Beans

Same here, randomly the mouse clicks stop responding. On my laptop running unity, the unity taskbar still responds, but on my desktop running Gnome, nothing responds to clicks. I can still move the mouse, and switching to a VT and killing X, logging back in fixes the issue.

Both are AMD64 11.04 machines.

This is REALLY annoying.

Any hints?

Beans

Hi,
    I still didn't found how to fix it. In order to recover I need to close all opened apps with the keyboar ALT+F4, then the mouse allow me to log out from the applet panel. Logging back and it works again (during several hours only).
    I noticed also lot of troubles with the applets panel. Often when logging I get a message that some of the applet on the panel have troubles and must be removed. Can it be linked with the mouse problem?
    Cheers
    Touf

Beans

did anyone figure this out? usually there are more responses on the forum.

Beans

Question Re: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

I have exactly the same problem with Ubuntu 11.10 on a AMD Athlon PC with a GeForce 7300 graphic card, using Unity 2D. Initially I thought it was somehow related to the nvidia driver, but the posts in this thread show that it's not true. What happens is that randomly, the mouse stops interacting with the desktop and open application windows (no more clicking possible, no mouse-over effects), but the mouse cursor is moving correctly. The side-bar also keeps working correctly. The applications are not frozen, because they continue responding to keyboard input. It seems as if the desktop/application area suddenly simply stopped receiving mouse events.

In fact, this problem started to appear about a week ago on Ubuntu 10.04 with a gnome desktop, then I upgraded, but the problem remained.

The only solution when this problem happens is to kill the X-server and login again, which is quite annoying.

I would be grateful for any help! - Maybe somebody knows how to trace event propagation in the X-Server?

Edit: I tracked it down to some relationship with keyboard / mouse:
    I exchanged the input devices with my other PC (running Ubuntu 10.10) and suddenly the same problem appeared on the other PC (mouse event propagation suddenly seems broken in some windows / on the desktop). I managed to get it back working by pressing randomly all mouse buttons (4 buttons and scroll wheel). My wireless mouse and keyboard are connected to the PC through one single USB stick.

Code:
    $ xinput list
    yields:

Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ MLK Trust Deskset 15176                     id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ MLK Trust Deskset 15176                     id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]

When using xev, I see that no events outside the taskbar are shown (no event inside the xev window neither)

The funny thing is, that this keyboard/mouse worked for years. Maybe this issue appeared somewhere around kernel 2.6.35-31-generic and stayed on in later kernels.

Can anybody confirm this? Should I file a bug?
    Last edited by braincookie; November 23rd, 2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: New information

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast