Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

Beans

Re: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

Weird! So many have reported this problem but none seem to have found a fix for this

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 on my old ThinkPad r52. Often & randomly my touchpad as well as the pointer will suddenly stop responding.

I have Windows XP as dual boot and the only solution is to reboot into Windows, use the mouse for some time and then reboot into Ubuntu.

Can any enlightened soul kindly put us out of our misery???

Thanks a ton!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The mouse problem is no longer a problem. I feel that my issue was due to using the latest Firefox obtained from Mozilla. Using the version available from the repositories does not cause the problem. I was only having this occur when using Firefox. Using 12.04 now with no issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm having the problem with Firefox 13.0. It happens when I click the back button in FF. I can't recall if it has happened when doing anything else as the first couple of times were weeks apart I wasn't paying attention. It has now done it twice in the last couple of days.

As with everyone else, the keyboard works, and I can move the mouse pointer around, but can't click with any button or scroll wheel. I've ended up rebooting each time.

I'm running 11.04, Phenom II x4 965, Asrock board, microsoft optical mouse, FF 13.0.

Beans

I got into this state while running Awesome on Fedora 17. I found a way to get out of it without rebooting. Use the xinput reattach command to reset your mouse.

Code:
    [nstraz@tin log]$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB RECEIVER                     id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Dell Dell USB Keyboard                    id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                          id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    [nstraz@tin log]$ xinput reattach 9 2
    After I did that I could click inside applications and resize my windows again.

Beans

That just fixed the issue without needing to reboot for me -- thanks!
    I'm on 13.04, but same problem.
    Of course, it doesn't answer why the issue occurs, and is hardly something one could expect a non-technical user to be able to confidently resort to.
    But for me, for now -- thankyou!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234