Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

Occasionally but not always my mouse responds by my hitting the ESC button. So far in the past 2 days the mouse has behaved itself. On Monday of this week I took a chance because of this bad behavior of restarting the machine and booting to Win7 again. After 2 months of using Ubuntu Win7 must have learned its lesson by its being banished and started working again. 2 days later I booted up again into Ubuntu and so far the mouse has behaved itself. I love that command that you've posted above and tried it. This is the output. If it makes any sense to anyone as a direction to a possible solution can someone let me know?

Code:
    paulw@ubuntu:~$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ USB Mouse                                   id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                     id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                     id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    paulw@ubuntu:~$
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 11.04 - Mouse randomly stops working inside applications

This is honestly a complete pain.

Once the touchpad stops working the only solution is to reboot.

Code:
    dave@SNECCI:~$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ CNF7129                                 	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Asus Laptop extra buttons               	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]

Beans
    Distro

Nothing on this?

It's incredibly annoying to have to reboot continuously because the touchpad stops working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had that problem on 11.04 when using FileZilla. App wasn't blocked, but mouse click were totally gone (not responding anymore). After a while, I found that it was related to the new scrollbars, somehow it was stucked around a scrollbar and clicks were not working anymore, and had to close the window with ALT+F4. Chrome and Chromium are not using overlay scrollbars, that could be the key.

Is anyone of you who have this problem using the new overlay scrollbars or the older ones ?

If you want to give it a try if they fix the problem (might be related, but I am not sure 100%), these commands remove the scrollbars alltogether and return to normal ones:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar
    sudo su
    echo "export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0" > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars

Beans
    Distro

I can Alt+F4 all day long, the mouse remains unresponsive, evem with no apps open.

I haven't noticed it happening with any particular app; it seems entirely random for me.

Many of us started using Linux because we were a bit tired of the BSOD with Windows, but I have had to reboot my computer five or six times this morning and it's kind of taking away the fun of using Linux (to put it mildly!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_tip View Post
    I had that problem on 11.04 when using FileZilla. App wasn't blocked, but mouse click were totally gone (not responding anymore). After a while, I found that it was related to the new scrollbars, somehow it was stucked around a scrollbar and clicks were not working anymore, and had to close the window with ALT+F4. Chrome and Chromium are not using overlay scrollbars, that could be the key.

Is anyone of you who have this problem using the new overlay scrollbars or the older ones ?

If you want to give it a try if they fix the problem (might be related, but I am not sure 100%), these commands remove the scrollbars alltogether and return to normal ones:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar
    sudo su
    echo "export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0" > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars
    Well, this might be a solution for some of you, but in my case problems started appearing when I was still on the classic Gnome desktop, without fancy scrollbars. My guess is that some keyboard / mouse breaks the event propagation…

Just one hint for those who talked about rebooting the system: just check if killing / restarting the X-server doesn't do the job. In order to enable the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace shortcut to kill the X-Server, just do the following (from http://deviceguru.com/enabling-ctrl-alt-backspace-to-kill-the-x-server-in-ubuntu/):

• Go to Menu > System > Preferences > Keyboard
    • Select the Layouts tab
    • Click the Options button
    • Click the Triangle to the left of the line that says “Key sequence to kill the X server”
    • Check the box to the left of Ctrl + Alt + Backspace

Take care: When killing the X-Server, all your unsaved data will be lost!

Beans

I am having this issue too. I run Awesome WM, but also have gnome-settings-daemon running. So the problem is probably something to do with that.

When I close the WM (which also restarts X) then the mouse is working again. Really annoying though since it can happen twice a day to once every 2 days.

Beans

I've been having this problem for the last few days. Not sure what exactly I installed that caused it, but I have found one trick to get around the problem.

After you log in, simply log out, via Ctrl + Alt + Del, then log back in. Then I don't have any issues.

I'll try the scroll bar thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by genjix View Post
    I am having this issue too. I run Awesome WM, but also have gnome-settings-daemon running. So the problem is probably something to do with that.

When I close the WM (which also restarts X) then the mouse is working again. Really annoying though since it can happen twice a day to once every 2 days.

Exactly same setup, exactly same result. I'm going insane because of this.

Beans

It seems that this problem is being triggered by using Nautilus. I mean: if I don't use it at all for some time I don't seem to get the this bug.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast