Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in helping in a midi sequencing/audio recording software project?

Beans

Anyone interested in helping in a midi sequencing/audio recording software project?

I have been using Cubase SX and Buzztracker and many audio applications for Windows and I know that there are several professional audio applications available for linux, so my idea is, to make UBUNTU unique from other distributions.

Who would like to collaborate on a music production software package for Ubuntu?

I know that this would be a healthy thing for the linux world and would attract others to ubuntu.

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Anyone interested in helping in a midi sequencing/audio recording software projec

Quote Originally Posted by irq-8
    I have been using Cubase SX and Buzztracker and many audio applications for Windows and I know that there are several professional audio applications available for linux, so my idea is, to make UBUNTU unique from other distributions.

Who would like to collaborate on a music production software package for Ubuntu?

I know that this would be a healthy thing for the linux world and would attract others to ubuntu.

any ideas?
    Idea #1: Base your code off of Rosegarden

Beans

Re: Anyone interested in helping in a midi sequencing/audio recording software projec

A midi/music app is one thing which is stopping me moving over to Linux. Reason/Ableton/Cubase etc all apps which dont seem to have any comparison on linux (and yes, they all cost money!).

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I just found this site (I think it's better than Audacity thus far):

http://vt.shuis.tudelft.nl/~remon/tr.../download.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Click this link

http://www.musix.org.ar/en/index.html

you may want to have a look at that

it's an argentinian music distro, contains all availiable music apps for linux to date and even runs VST softsynths

plenty of ideas there

it has traverso installed by default

I use it in my studio and i would say that version 5.0 is actually quite stable

i also use dynebolic, PCLinuxOS, and of course Ubuntu...
    Last edited by Karlos; July 29th, 2006 at 08:12 AM.
    CHANT: Hare Krishna, Hare Rama... AND BE HAPPY
    registered linux user #413097

Beans

I am in the same boat as you guys. Sonar 5 Producer Edition, Ableton Live 5 all on windows.

I am very interested in this idea myself. I don't have much programming knowledge and am a complete newbie to Linux, but I'd like to contribute where I am able.

Ah, that shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand and says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.

Beans

I was thinking about drivers the other day. I have 2 Presonus Firepods and I'm running Athlon 64 3500+. I would go 64-bit with Sonar 5, except for the fact that I would have no audio interface drivers. What's the hardware compatability scene like in Linux for audio hardware?
    I've seen a reference to a couple of Hammerfall units somewhere.

Just brainstorming.

Beans

Beans

I'll help if I have a general idea of what I'm working on and some code to work off of.

I've got some experience with music theory so I could probably help add some neat stuff (scale makers/chord makers/scale finders/chord finders... Interval calculations... etc.)

Also, I would STRONGLY suggest that a good plugin system be made, probably with python so people like myself can contribute without having to muck around in the source. I can probably help with the interfacing part... Loading python scripts as plugins and executing them within c/c++ code... assuming that's what you plan to use? What language DO you have in mind? That would probably be a handy thing to know.

EDIT:

You know what I'd like to see in linux... Something like Guitar Pro or Tabit... Amazing program! I'm an avid guitar player and I love being able to write/compose guitar/drum/piano tracks on the computer. I would KILL SOMEONE for a good guitar tabbing program in linux. If anyone knows of any projects, please direct me to them.
    Last edited by Wybiral; January 30th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

have you looked at jokosher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast