Thread: Two-finger tap to middle-click on Eee PC 1000HA with Ubuntu 11.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Two-finger tap to middle-click on Eee PC 1000HA with Ubuntu 11.04?

Is it possible to get two-finger tap to mean middle-click on my Eee PC 1000HA with Ubuntu 11.04? I'm dual-booting with WinXP, which has two-finger tap to middle-click, so it would be super nice to have the same thing on my fancy new Ubuntu partition. Two-finger scrolling is enabled, so I feel like I ought to be able to get two-finger tap working, but I don't know how.

Beans

Re: Two-finger tap to middle-click on Eee PC 1000HA with Ubuntu 11.04?

Hello!

first of all, I don't speak english perfectly...
    second, yes it is possible. I have an asus K52JC and I have been using ubuntu for a few days.
    I will explain the steps I have followed to make the two-fingers-clic generate a scroll-clic (for opening new tabs for example), and the three-fingers-clic a right-clic...

1) Open a new terminal
    2) Type
    Code:
    sudo su
    , and write the pass

(I think steps 1 and 2 are optional but I'm not sure)

3) Type
    Code:
    xinput list
    From the list you have to locate the Touchpad, in my case ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad. See the id of this device.

4) Type
    Code:
    xinput list-props id_of_touchpad
    You will see a list of properties, look for "Tap Action", and see the id of this prop (the number between () nex to "Tap Action")

5) Now you have the device's ID and the clic-prop ID. What you have to do is to set a new group of parameters to this prop. Type
    Code:
    xinput set-prop id_of_touchpad id_of_property 0 0 0 0 1 2 3
    6) It's done.

The parameters 0 0 0 0 1 2 3, describe de following actions:

(all the zeros) tap in the corners of the touchpad, I don't remember the exact order but, 0 = no response.

The 1, makes a clic, and it is in the fifth place be cause that place represents the single touch on the touchpad.

The 2, makes a scroll clic, and it is in the sixth place be cause that place represents the two-fingers clic.

the 3, I supose you are guessing, is the right clic, and the last place is for the three-fingers clic.

you should make a text file whith the line
    Code:
    xinput set-prop id_of_touchpad id_of_property 0 0 0 0 1 2 3
    save it as file.sh, or any name you like but as an .sh

and add it to the start apps, put the .sh file in somewhere where you will findit, some times when I wake up the machine, I have to configure it again...

I hope you will fix it