Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: RT5370 STA USB wireless adapter driver installation

Beans

Re: RT5370 STA USB wireless adapter driver installation

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Wow.

Did you try ndiswrapper for this device or some other? If for this device, you don't need it and we can remove it:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    Let's see:
    Code:
    modinfo rt2870sta | grep -e 5370 -e version
    iwconfig
    lsmod | grep ndis
    Thanks.
    Got this:
    # rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    --------------------------------
    # modinfo rt2870sta | grep -e 5370 -e version
    version: 2.0.1.0
    srcversion: 169A56F8E0E6AA9C2B2FD02
    vermagic: 2.6.32-42-generic-pae SMP mod_unload modversions 586TSC
    # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.
    # lsmod | grep ndis
    ndiswrapper 184867 0
    #

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you try ndiswrapper for this device or some other? I asked for a reason. I don't want to remove something you need for some other purpose.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks to the contributors of this thread for your help. I got my device to work after a bit of work using the newer code and original instructions.

Beans

People are running Unity, Guh-nome. kubuntu, lxde and idontknowwhatabuntu. I sometimes accidentally get it right!

Go here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 Download this to your desktop: RT8070/RT3070/RT3370/RT5370/RT5372USB Right-click it and select Extract Here. Rename the file that's extracted to RT5370. Right-click it and select Extract Here.

RANT: The automagic tools that extract files in Ubuntu work great until they don't and ole Chili has to tapdance. It is far easier than it once was and less easy than I hope it will someday be. END RANT.

Open the resulting folder and go to os > linux and use any text editor to edit config.mk. Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'. Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

Now, a geek's dream; open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/2011
    Press Tab and the remainder will fill in. Press Enter. Now do:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt5370sta
    exit
    Is your wireless working?

If there are any errors, stop and ask; warnings are usually OK.
    the manufacturer changed the filename and forgot to put in the .tar before the .bz2. I had trouble until I renamed the file, now it works perfectly.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...se.php?sn=5016

(and yes you need to make as root or it fails!)

Beans

Go here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 Download this to your desktop: RT8070/RT3070/RT3370/RT5370/RT5372USB Right-click it and select Extract Here. Rename the file that's extracted to RT5370. Right-click it and select Extract Here.

Open the resulting folder and go to os > linux and use any text editor to edit config.mk. Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'. Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

Now, a geek's dream; open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/2011
    Press Tab and the remainder will fill in. Press Enter. Now do:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt5370sta
    exit
    Is your wireless working?
    If I could upvote these instructions on the Internet, I would. I've spent the last week searching and making various attempts to get my Ralink 5730 usb wireless adapter to work with Ubuntu. I'm not that savvy apparently because nothing worked. Tried these instructions with no tweaking required, and network manager just discovers my new wireless device. Awesome. Thank you Chili.

Beans

The 'license taints kernel' is trivial (and fixable) but wouldn't stop the driver from working. The unknown symbol errors are what we need to fix, however. Can you run:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make clean
    make
    Then copy all the text from the terminal and paste into a text document and copy that to a USB key or similar so we can see and, hopefully, fix them?
    Hello all,

I have been dealing with Tubadaddy's same issue, and got to this point before everything got really frustrating.

Here is a link to my terminal's display after running
    sudo su
    make clean
    make

root.doc

I also read into adding in the module_license("GPL") line, but got hung up on adding in the symlink. This is my fifth day of working in Linux trying to get this adapter to work, sooooo... newbish? Yes, absolutely... but not a quitter.

any help or general direction is appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wayne4 View Post
    This is my fifth day of working in Linux trying to get this adapter to work, sooooo... newbish? Yes, absolutely... but not a quitter.

any help or general direction is appreciated
    Actually, your build went without error, however, there are so many warnings that I'm quite sure the driver won't work well if at all!

You have certainly made a tough job for yourself:
    Code:
    Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    That suggests that you installed Ubuntu 10.04 or maybe even earlier and it may not even be fully updated. That's like buying a Pentium II and 256Mb of RAM. Can you run it? Barely. Could you, with a bit more effort, have a smoothly running system and few or no troubles? Oh, yes!

I strongly suggest you install Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS at least and even Ubuntu 13.04 where your device works out of the box!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

That suggests that you installed Ubuntu 10.04 or maybe even earlier and it may not even be fully updated. That's like buying a Pentium II and 256Mb of RAM. Can you run it? Barely. Could you, with a bit more effort, have a smoothly running system and few or no troubles? Oh, yes!

I strongly suggest you install Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS at least and even Ubuntu 13.04 where your device works out of the box!
    Actually, now that I'm checking it out, I'm running Karmic Koala, which I'm realizing is pretty ancient. Where can I go to download the new version?

Beans
    Distro

For 13.04, right here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/raring/

Beans

Just installed 13.04 and everything connected without any troubles at all! Thank you!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast