Thread: Why is xorg.conf empty?

Beans

Why is xorg.conf empty?

This is my complete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file after a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04 (graphics card: nvidia 6200):

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

As you can see it is almost empty. It doesn't look anything like other xorg.conf files I've seen. There is no "driver" line, for example.

I can generate an xorg.conf file by running "nvidia-settings". Then I get an xorg.conf file that looks normal. But how does the system work with an empty xorg.conf? Where is it getting the information?
    Last edited by Luke M; July 8th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why is xorg.conf empty?

I think its normal.
    In my machine with built-in nvida chip set it used to come like that.
    but after installing nvida driver and saving configuration it fill be look like other xorg files.
    Dasan

Beans

The nvidia driver is already installed and working (ubuntu installed it automatically).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    But how does the system work with an empty xorg.conf? Where is it getting the information?
    Automatic detection..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    This is my complete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file after a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04 (graphics card: nvidia 6200):

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

As you can see it is almost empty. It doesn't look anything like other xorg.conf files I've seen. There is no "driver" line, for example.

I can generate an xorg.conf file by running "nvidia-settings". Then I get an xorg.conf file that looks normal. But how does the system work with an empty xorg.conf? Where is it getting the information?
    These days you'll normally only find information in xorg.conf if it has been entered by a user, or by a driver utility (such an nvidia-settings). If you put anything in that file, it will be used; it's handy when things aren't detected properly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    These days you'll normally only find information in xorg.conf if it has been entered by a user, or by a driver utility (such an nvidia-settings). If you put anything in that file, it will be used; it's handy when things aren't detected properly.
    Hmm. Well, I followed the instructions here:

http://ubuntunation.blogspot.com/200...nux-using.html

And it did not work. I had to generate an xorg.conf file using nvidia-settings before I could add the option.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for your info Grenage
    Dasan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

No problem. There are so many old guides out there, and people reading them don't realise that the modern desktops take care of it all automatically now; most of the time, at least. There's also xrandr for a more on-the-fly configuration.