Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

Quote Originally Posted by pcawdron View Post
    Excellent instructions, just copy and paste and away we go...

Hey, one question, how do I reverse the order? At the moment the default is windows. How do I make it second in the list so the default is Ubuntu?

I wasn't game to play around with the settings in the file without asking.

Many thanks,
    Peter
    That's no problem, just move your Windows entry to very end of the menu.lst file...you can copy & paste or retype, then delete the other entry...probably wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your menu.lst, before you make the changes(see instructions at the beginning of this thread).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Re: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

Alright,

I've done as the HowTo suggested and I've got my computer to boot XP first on my Dell 4550 (I also had to do the bit with changing the hd1,0).

Now my question is though;

I have a third IDE Hard Drive, which has all my windows files on it. What's the best and safest way to install that to only be found by my Windows OS?

Currently my Ubuntu 6.10 is on IDE1 and Windows on IDE2, I have a third though a PCI adapter that I was planning on attaching the "storage" HDD on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Village
    Your Village called, their Idiot is missing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wow, that works nicely. Thank you all. I've had the cover off of my computer for quite some time, thinking I will figure out how to dual boot from two HDD's... Never had the time until now when I am sick as a dog and not at work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A little help?

I followed these directions for dualbooting Ubuntu and XP on two separate Hard Drives. But it hasn't been successful.

1. I disconnected the HD with XP on it and hooked up the new drive using the cables from the original drive. Ubuntu installed perfectly. I updated and was able to boot into Ubuntu without problems.

2. I then proceeded to edit the menu.lst file as directed in this post. I used cut-and-paste.

3. On reboot, I initially got an error message that the "drive doesn't exist."

4. Now my machine boots to windows every time after briefly flashing Grub on startup. I am unable to boot into Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by strange_cathect View Post
    A little help?

I followed these directions for dualbooting Ubuntu and XP on two separate Hard Drives. But it hasn't been successful.

1. I disconnected the HD with XP on it and hooked up the new drive using the cables from the original drive. Ubuntu installed perfectly. I updated and was able to boot into Ubuntu without problems.

2. I then proceeded to edit the menu.lst file as directed in this post. I used cut-and-paste.

3. On reboot, I initially got an error message that the "drive doesn't exist."

4. Now my machine boots to windows every time after briefly flashing Grub on startup. I am unable to boot into Ubuntu.

Any ideas?
    Did you change the timeout in your menu.lst to something like 10(seconds), the default is 3 seconds and you definitely do not want to reduce the time?
    If you have enough time when grub briefly flashes, press your arrow down key...hopefully, this will highlight your Ubuntu entry.
    The only thing I can think is to make sure your hard drive jumper settings are correct and go into your bios setup & make sure both drives are set to "auto" or "enabled".

Beans

Unhappy Re: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

I have 2 SATA HD's in my laptop(HP dv8000t). and i dont know how master and slave works with my setup. My windows is on my primary drive and my secondary is only formatted so far to NTFS. and because its a laptop i dont what would happen if i replace the primary drive with the secondary. Plz help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Haupt View Post
    I have 2 SATA HD's in my laptop(HP dv8000t). and i dont know how master and slave works with my setup. My windows is on my primary drive and my secondary is only formatted so far to NTFS. and because its a laptop i dont what would happen if i replace the primary drive with the secondary. Plz help.
    See reply #22 by bulldog, in this thread:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=275728&page=3
    He was able to set his system up without disconnecting his Windows drive by setting his bios to boot first from the drive he was going to install Ubuntu on. You "might" be able to do this by setting your 2nd hard drive to boot first(drive you're going to install Ubuntu on). You're right, master & slave doesn't apply to SATA drives, you just have SATA controller 1 with Windows and controller 2 with your other hard drive. If you want to be absolutely sure that your Windows mbr isn't overwritten, you'd probably need to disconnect your Windows drive...you may be able to leave your other drive connected, as is, select in bios to boot first to this drive & install Ubuntu on it. Add your Windows entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, reconnect your Windows drive & bootup with your Ubuntu drive as the first boot device.

If you want to PM bulldog about his method, feel free...he's quite knowledgable with dualbooting and is willing to assist anyone with their setup.

I assume you're using the desktop live cd to test your system, if you are, you might want to boot up the live cd, open a terminal(Applications---Accessories---Terminal),enter:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    The -l is a small "L".
    If Ubuntu detects both your SATA drives, you shouldn't have any problems installing.
    The biggest problem Ubuntu has had in the past is detecting some of the newer SATA controllers, but that is improving in newer versions of Ubuntu with newer kernels.

The desktop live cd automatically installs grub to the mbr(if the drive you're installing Ubuntu on is the first boot device, it "should" install on this drive), however the alternate install cd allows you to select where to install grub(mbr, floppy, partition)...I've always installed with the alternate cd.
    If you want to consider the alternate cd, here's an excellent guide(with screenshots):
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

I know this a lot of info to digest and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

If you leave your Windows drive connected during install and it's mbr gets overwritten, it can be repaired:
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm

Good Luck...

Added: The results of "sudo fdisk -l" should show your SATA drive connected to controller #1 as sda, and controller #2 as sdb...if you select in bios to boot first to the drive on controller #2 when installing Ubuntu, it will be designated hd0 in grub and the Windows drive on #1 will be hd1.
    If you switched the drive you want to install Ubuntu on to controller #1, set it in your bios to boot first, then sda would be hd0, and sdb with Windows would hd1...sda and sdb just refers to which SATA controller the drive is connected to, but whichever drive is selected to boot first is hd0 in grub...
    Last edited by confused57; January 13th, 2007 at 08:35 AM.

Beans

My bios only has Notebook Hard Drive as the hard drive in boot order but it sees my other hard drive other places. so i cant change my boot order. next week i'll try taking out the windows HD. Thanks for the help!!

UPDATE**
    i tried to install today but it keep freezing right when it loading the kernel and my computer started making odd noises. Plz help.
    Last edited by Haupt; January 15th, 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello,

This sounds fantastic, its exactly what I have been looking for!
    I am still learning so my trouble shooting skills are not there yet.

I have set up both my Xubuntu and Win 2000 Pro IDE drives as Master and Slave, respectively.
    I have copied and pasted into the script into the menu.lst the following:

title Windows 2000
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

but whenever i select the Win2000Pro at start up my screen goes blank, but the monitor does not to to rest mode.
    And it does nothing....

If i go into the bios and reslect either of the drives they will boot perfectly.

Does this not work with Xubuntu or win2000 for any reason? or because they are both IDE drives?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
    Hello,

This sounds fantastic, its exactly what I have been looking for!
    I am still learning so my trouble shooting skills are not there yet.

I have set up both my Xubuntu and Win 2000 Pro IDE drives as Master and Slave, respectively.
    I have copied and pasted into the script into the menu.lst the following:

title Windows 2000
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

but whenever i select the Win2000Pro at start up my screen goes blank, but the monitor does not to to rest mode.
    And it does nothing....

If i go into the bios and reslect either of the drives they will boot perfectly.

Does this not work with Xubuntu or win2000 for any reason? or because they are both IDE drives?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
    It should work fine with Xubuntu, you could try rootnoverify (hd1,0), instead of root (hd1,0).

Also, you might want to post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    The -l is a small "L".

This will show your partition tables & might help troubleshoot your problem.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast