and type after
    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title Windows
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

---o---

when I booted and pressed esc, to select the option that says windows, I typed, "E" for edit at the line "rootnoverify (hd0,0)" and then "B" for boot and tried different combinations (0.1 0.2 1.0 1.1)
    and the one that worked was
    "rootnoverify (hd1,0)" that booted into windows, so i let it do a complete boot and the rebooted that and went into ubuntu back again to

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and change the line

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

to

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

and now it works

I would like to thank the academy, its an honor to be nominated

PS thanx forum and freenode #ubuntu
    Linux is user friendly, it just chooses who he is friends with.

Beans

Re: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

Thank you for the guides Confused!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, I readed your post, and copy the code. Just work great!
    Many thanks!

Beans

I used this setup with 7.10 and it worked fine (the problem I am posting about didn't come up), but I ended up re-installing with 6.06 because I wanted more stability. It works fine with 6.06 too, but now I am having trouble accessing my Windows drive from Ubuntu. It gives me permission errors whenever I try accessing it after mounting. It says it belongs to root. When I do 'su', I can then access it via the terminal. However, I can't access it any other way. It is read-only and root/root group and owner. Not sure if this is related to this setup or another issue. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gr8gatzb View Post
    I used this setup with 7.10 and it worked fine (the problem I am posting about didn't come up), but I ended up re-installing with 6.06 because I wanted more stability. It works fine with 6.06 too, but now I am having trouble accessing my Windows drive from Ubuntu. It gives me permission errors whenever I try accessing it after mounting. It says it belongs to root. When I do 'su', I can then access it via the terminal. However, I can't access it any other way. It is read-only and root/root group and owner. Not sure if this is related to this setup or another issue. Any ideas?
    Maybe this will help you get your Windows mounted with proper permissions:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

Beans
    Hidden!

How does Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" change any of this?

What I am really looking for is a way to install Ubuntu Linux onto either the same partition or another partition on either the same and/or another hard drive. I want a choice of which OS to boot on when I start up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Beans

Smile Re: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

My question, after reading all this stuff on dual boot, is this harder to do than dualbooting with Linspire & Windows on seperate harddrives? I want to do Ubuntu with XPPro 64 & XPPrp 32. Each has their own hd. Previously had Vista 64, XPPro 64 & 32. Vista is like Windows ME, a lot of fluff and a lot of trouble.Formated the Vista Harddrive, no more trouble.
    Thanks, Al

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi Al,
    I can't tell you how the setup compares to Linspire as I've never used it. I can tell you that I dual boot with Ubuntu 7.10 and XP (Home) 32 on separate hard drives, and it was a straight forward process. I have also set up Ubuntu and XP Pro 32 and it worked the same way. Very easy to set up and both worked flawlessly. I used the same method as gpilkay from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=717909 (post #2).

Beans

Thanks for replying. I will use your sugestion. I get into too much trouble when it come to typing a lot of commands.

Beans

Hi sorry if i am asking a 'duh' kindda question Just finished my DIY buntu box over the weekends but my via chipset VGA is giving me resolution problems on 8.04 so while i am getting that fixed via this wonderful forums, i had a spare HDD and installed buntu 7.10 and the IGP works fine! Now i am asking: can i boot from 2 HDDs, one with 7.10 and the other with 8.04?

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast