Thread: ssl security through a proxy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

ssl security through a proxy

Is my ssl connection secure if I'm going through a proxy. Is it possible to craft a malicious proxy to steal/crack authentication?
    I don' really like coffee. I guess I'll give my Ubuntu beans to my wife.

Luke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ssl security through a proxy

Quote Originally Posted by wlraider70 View Post
    Is my ssl connection secure if I'm going through a proxy. Is it possible to craft a malicious proxy to steal/crack authentication?
    The short answer -- maybe.

The slightly more complicated answer -- No

The security of your data IMHO comes from the encryption quality ; NOT how far you move it from the source. The same problem with people putting too much trust in Tor or other similar proxies. Anonymity is not equal to security.

So let's take a look at the SSL Tunnel itself, SSL is crackable, anything that uses a public-key cipher is crackable, if the attacker wants to spend enough time getting it.

Sniffing the traffic to or from a proxy server is only slightly more difficult then sniffing the traffic of a "direct" connection.

Now -- Unless you are transmitting Top Secret Documents, the real question you need to ask, "Is my data reasonably secure?" Only you can answer that question since only you know what it is you're protecting.

There is not ever going to be a 100% secure method of protecting anything, it's about factoring whether the unlikely potential that it COULD occur is worth accepting. If the answer to that question is no, then it's better to not transmit that data, encrypted or otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: ssl security through a proxy

My data is of no real value other then perhaps typical IDE Ty theft email hacking...

My only real concern is that there might be some kind of inherent risk with using a proxy that I don't control.
    My understanding per the earlier post is my ssl is no more or less vulnerable due to a proxy.
    I don' really like coffee. I guess I'll give my Ubuntu beans to my wife.

Luke