Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install power pc Lubuntu 11.04 with Firefox 5

Beans

Re: How to install power pc Lubuntu 11.04 with Firefox 5

No I don't, I guess I'm not that awesome. I did use the xorg.conf file you linked for me, but I didn't have to change the driver to make it work. Seems strange, that the same xorg.conf on the same machine with the same window manager produces different results.

I did have to jump through a few more hoops to get wireless networking and the trackpad working to my liking (though I think its too old to support multitouch), so kudos for having that taken care of

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdix123 View Post
    I did have to jump through a few more hoops to get wireless networking and the trackpad working to my liking
    I think that is a bit of an exaggeration to be fair! You only have to type in one command to get wireless working! Any hoops were of your own making because you totally ignored the instructions I had written.....

I could of made the script do it all automatically, but that wouldn't help people using xubuntu etc. Also, I imagine some people will type out the script so making it as short as possible was a good thing.

Linuxopjemac, I see from your forum that you've now made the changes to the fonts already!

I still won't be going over to MintPPC I'm afraid. I think I have a fundamentally different outlook to those using MintPPC/debian. I wonder too if creating a separate distribution weakens the PowerPC architecture because of a reduced visibility in the general populous? Just a thought, although I don't want to undermine all your hard work on MintPPC. For most people the choice (between xubuntu/lubuntu/MintPPC etc) will probably come down to aesthetics, even though I think lubuntu is faster. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.

Beans

Forgot to mention with regard to font rendering that some screens have a different sub pixel geometry to the standard RGB. I think some of the apple screens did this (early ibook maybe, can't remember?) so you may have to change the settings to get it just right.

Beans

Have corrected a mistake I had made with the installation instructions for powernowd. I had linked to an old package. I was having difficulty installing it in xubuntu and spotted the mistake. Hopefully it will now work....will try tomorrow.

Beans

I'm noticing three issues at the moment with my particular machine.

First, the startup and shutdown splash screens do not use the full display. Just a little section in the upper left.

Second, the display stays on when I close the lid. I can't seem to find a setting that will suspend or hibernate when the lid is closed, just when I push the button.

Third, I am getting a mass of this on startup
    Code:
    udevd[worker54]: worker [93] did not accept message -1 (connection refused), kill it
    The same line is repeated multiple times, with different values for "worker [93], worker [94], worker [96]" etc.

Ideas?

Beans

udevd - I have no idea. Have you always had this or is it something that has just started?

Install powerprefs to fix the suspend when you close the lid. You may have to adjust your gnome power prreferences settings so they don't clash. It is what you will have had in mintppc. I haven't tried this in natty though. Hibernate doesn't work for me, have you had it working in the past?

Splash screen - adjust your yaboot parameters. Either remove the splash (nosplash) or you need a video=something (try video=nouveaufb:1024x768-24@60 or see section 3.7 of instructions for link to proper documentation) .

EDIT: suspend has always been a bit dodgy for me so remember to save any work before you suspend!
    Last edited by rsavage; November 28th, 2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added link as not sure nouveaufb is correct

Beans

yeah the udevd thing has happened since the install, it just didn't seem to affect anything so I ignored it in favor of getting everything else setup like I wanted it.

Its not immediately obvious to me where to put those options in yaboot.conf

Code:
    boot="/dev/disk/by-label/bootstrap"
    device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0
    partition=3
    root="UUID=9f62861c-645a-4b80-99b8-46ea300302e6"
    timeout=50
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
    	label=Linux
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    	append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
    	label=old
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
    	append="quiet splash"
    Last edited by jdix123; August 1st, 2011 at 08:41 PM.

Beans

You should be able to try them on the second yaboot prompt. e.g.

Linux nosplash

When you want to make them permenant you change the 'append' line. e.g.

append="quiet"

sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf
    then "sudo ybin" to copy it across to the boot partition.
    Last edited by rsavage; November 28th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.

Beans

Hello, will this work on an imac g3 slot loader? Thank you.

Beans

It has as much chance as anything else.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast