Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I get a Mac?

Beans

Re: Should I get a Mac?

A classmate of mine had problems with a Sony Vaio laptop; the screen resolution couldn't be set properly on Ubuntu 8.04 with the default drivers. Maybe it could have been fixed by using Nvidia's drivers though.

Quote Originally Posted by emem View Post
    How did you get the touchpad working in a usable way? It tried a lot of tweaks. But i am still not able to click and select a line of text like i do it on OS X. It recognizes my clicking thumb as the second finger and starts scrolling.
    The trackpad worked out of the box for me with a Macbook Pro 7,1 and Ubuntu 11.04 (same goes for Fedora 15 by the way). Even though it sometimes recognizes a single finger as two fingers and starts scrolling, this happens rarely and for me it's no problem at all to select text with the thumb or another finger.
    Maybe it's possible to tweak some settings with the synclient program (if you haven't tried that already).

B_Free is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Don't buy a new Mac to put Linux on it. You are paying about 2000 dollars just for the Mac software. There are companies that sell Ubuntu pre-installed, including Dell. Then you have some support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by B_Free View Post
    Don't buy a new Mac to put Linux on it. You are paying about 2000 dollars just for the Mac software. There are companies that sell Ubuntu pre-installed, including Dell. Then you have some support.
    Mac's may be a bit more expensive, but they aren't that much more expensive.

These are the current starting prices in Oz $:

MacBook: $1199-
    MacBook Pro: $1399-
    MacBook Air: $1199-

Beans

Macs are good, reliable pieces of hardware and the new ones come with insane laptop graphics and 4 cores! Ubuntu works quite well (once you follow the setup guide and install the fan script i made). The one problem with my macbook (not sure about the new ones) is that ubuntu doesn't do cpu scaling well, so I wrote a small cron script for that. Mac OS is far superior to ubuntu in battery life (6 hours +) and Xcode is great if you like programming. The GUI is really nice and easy and teh multi-touch trackpad is great for productivity. It's BSD commands are easier to understand than GNU commands and installing and uninstalling apps could only be simpler if someone did it for you. If you do decide on buying a mac, wait until Lion comes out (10.7), it looks like they brought some of ipad and unity to osx.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Free
    Don't talk if you know nothing about which you are speaking. The Mac OS is $40.00 and not a penny more; pages is $20 I think and its worth every cent too.
    Last edited by Neds Moar Salt; July 13th, 2011 at 03:50 AM.

Beans

Cegonsoft

You can’t really turn a Linux system to a Mac, but you definitely can make your Ubuntu Hardy looks like a Mac OSX Leopard. I hope this one is useful tips for you , for your understanding.

Cegonsoft web 2.0 training

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My parents just got a new MacBook Pro, top of the line. That thing is a BEAST with speed and graphics! Not to mention the build quality is amazing.
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Twin Radeon 7870's | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123