Thread: Apple iBook G4 - Ubuntu 10.10 Change MAC

Beans

Question Apple iBook G4 - Ubuntu 10.10 Change MAC

Hello everyone.
    Thanks for all your hard work, Ubuntu is great. I recently found a way to breathe some new life into an old PPC iBook G4 I had laying around, by installing Ubuntu 10.10. Most everything so far is superb, I love playing around and learning new things.
    One thing I haven't been able to figure out is successfully change the MAC address of the built in airport card in the iBook G4. I have tried various methods found by simple Google searches, and using my Linksys WRT54G router with Tomato firmware installed, I can actually view the artificial MAC attempting to connect to the network under Status > Device List, but it never successfully connects with a fake MAC address. On the Ubuntu side, I can see it attempts a few times, maybe 30 seconds or so, then reverts back to the hardware MAC to successfully connect.
    Could this be caused by the proprietary drivers necessary to run the AirPort card built into the iBook G4? What else could be causing the issue? How can I successfully change my MAC (ie 10:1D:EA:DB:EE:F0) and then connect to a network?

Thanks and appreciation in advance,

LucidLogic

Beans

Re: Apple iBook G4 - Ubuntu 10.10 Change MAC

Using hardinfo I have found that the card in question is a Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g (rev 03). Any ideas?