Thread: spdif audio out

Beans

spdif audio out

Hello,

I recently upgraded/migrated from mythdora 10.21 to mythbuntu 11.04. My system has two backend/frontends and two frontend onlies. I was able to get everything working relatively painlessly (thinks to everyone who contributes to mythbuntu) with one exception.

On my secondary backend/frontend I am unable to get audio out of my spdif port. My stereo detects a digital connection, but I get no audio. I have tried all of the output devices that are auto-detected and non work. I have tried unmuting the spdif output in alsamixer and that didn't help.

Any tips on where to get started? I have an nvidia chipset/soundcard.

Beans

Re: spdif audio out

I was able to get it working, details here for anyone needing the solution.

Mostly I'll credit Matt from this post http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/461197

I uninstalled alsa: sudo apt-get remove alsa
    I reinstalled alsa: sudo apt-get install alsa

Next I started playing a test .mp3 with vlc while I went into alsamixer to unmute the spdif output. The next part is strange, but I recall having to do the same thing with Fedora some time ago. I re-muted spdif and it started playing!

After confirming that sound works with VLC, I set mythtv to use alsa:spdif as its output, enabled both digital passthrough options, and turned off the internal mixer.