Thread: Replace Ubuntu 9.10 with Ubuntu 11.04, When window 7 is side by side.

Beans

Smile Replace Ubuntu 9.10 with Ubuntu 11.04, When window 7 is side by side.

I have Ubuntu 11.04 in my pen drive . Now i have to replace Ubuntu 9.10 with Ubuntu 11.04. Presently Ubuntu is installed side by side Windows 7. I can not disturd Windows 7. Please help me, i am new to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Replace Ubuntu 9.10 with Ubuntu 11.04, When window 7 is side by side.

Is windows 7 on the pendrive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by sstextile View Post
    I have Ubuntu 11.04 in my pen drive . Now i have to replace Ubuntu 9.10 with Ubuntu 11.04. Presently Ubuntu is installed side by side Windows 7. I can not disturd Windows 7. Please help me, i am new to Ubuntu.
    is a few ways, you could go into 9.10 and upgrade it, then upgrade again til u reach 11.04.. but tht mite b a bit flaky.

or you could make a backup of your /home directory. then boot from usb.

on step 4 on this how-to: http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/04/23/...rom-usb-or-cd/

u see the option to get rid of 10.10 and reinstall, it should be the same for u except it will list 9.10 select "erase 9.10 and reinstall" and it should leave windows b and only erase 9.10 for ya
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Easy, during the install you will get to a section where you pick how you want to install: there is a side by side option at the top. Don't use it. Go for 'Custom' (I think it is), the bottom option (where you can setup/resize partitions, etc.).

Now, you might need to make a note of what's where from Gparted in your 9.10 install before doing this, but you want to aim the new install at the current 9.10 / partition (which should be sda? - whatever you discover it is).

Click the partition where 9.10 is, then click 'Change'. Set to EXT4, Format = yes, mountpoint = /.
    That's it! You'll see a column in there which is 'Format?'. The only one that should be ticked is the / partition (where 9.10 is currently installed but soon to be replaced by your new OS).

Also, if you have an existing /home partition - not directory - you can change that to use as EXT4 (if it is that), but don't enable to format. Set mount point as /home and your new install will not format the existing /home and consider it as its /home also and won't create a /home directory or partition as part of the install. Neat, huh?

I've just installed 11.04 so fresh in my mind ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 5th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.