Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gufw & icmp

Beans

Re: Gufw & icmp

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The problem with Firestarter is that most users use it to monitor the firewall, which needs to be run as root, which could be a security problem. If users just used the gui to set firewall rules, then shut it down, there wouldn't be a problem.

yeah i understand that, i am purely providing a direct answert to his question which is a GUI for ICMP filtering.

LIke i said there are other ways to achive his goals i just think Firestarter provides his need very easily.

I personally dont use it, (have done historically)...as for running as root, i am an elitist i am afraid and think along the lines of, if you dont know why or what or how then dont
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

firestarter bugs will not be fixed===> launchpad
    : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ter/+bug/42759
    etc/etc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Well all respect meant for the staff member.

GUFW is not doing what he wants it to, firestarter will. so ?
    With all due respect, please do not advise software that is no longer maintained.

gufw / ufw are the defaults, and the fix is a "simple" edit to a configuration file, not much more difficult then copy / paste.

If you want to advise a graphical interface , use one that is at least maintained, and be prepared to debug conflicts you create with ufw / gufw.

Honestly, IMO, firestarter should be removed from the repos. It is no longer maintained and it conflicts with ufw / gufw, so it is not as straght forward as "install firestarter".
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12