Thread: Disable Firefox Update

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Disable Firefox Update

How can I prevent Firefox 5 from automatically updating itself to a new version? The relevant option is mission on the Update tab in Preferences.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Disable Firefox Update

into synaptic, select "package" from the menu, then you can choose to block that version (after selecting "firefox")

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by StarKid View Post
    How can I prevent Firefox 5 from automatically updating itself to a new version? The relevant option is mission on the Update tab in Preferences.
    Why do you want to do this as there will be no further security updates if you do? Are you having problems with FF updating, and if so, what are they?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Why do you want to do this as there will be no further security updates if you do?
    I have some add-ons that are crucial to me, and I want to be able to first check whether or not they are compatible with any new firefox versions, then update manually if I so choose, or delay updating until they are compatible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have some add-ons that are crucial to me, and I want to be able to first check whether or not they are compatible with any new firefox versions, then update manually if I so choose, or delay updating until they are compatible.
    Fair enough. However if you go to the specific website for the add-on, there is often a patch to allow use on the new FF version almost immediately. which you can check before you do the update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

See the Add-on section of the Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

Beans

I don't understand why this thread is marked as [SOLVED]. I would also like to stop Ubuntu/Firefox from automatic version updating. That doesn't mean I want to stop security updates, which was what the only "solution" posted here implied. Other replies questioned the OP's motives for wanting to disable updates and suggested some other routes for this specific user.

I have other reasons for wanting to disable the updates. One is that many webpages and online services are slow with updates for Ubuntu. When my Firefox was last updated I could no longer use one of the webpages I most frequently use, and worse, I could no longer use my electronic identification for bank/tax services etc.

On a principal level too, I want to be in command myself of what version I am using and when to change.

So, a proper solution would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans

You could just download the version you want from mozilla.org into your home directory, say into /home/someuser/software/Firefox_xyz and then run:

Code:
    sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox_orig
    sudo ln -s /home/someusers/software/Firefox_xyz/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    Then you only update your local version when you want too.

---------------
    http://www.knowyourlinux.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mnemanic View Post
    I don't understand why this thread is marked as [SOLVED]. I would also like to stop Ubuntu/Firefox from automatic version updating. That doesn't mean I want to stop security updates, which was what the only "solution" posted here implied. Other replies questioned the OP's motives for wanting to disable updates and suggested some other routes for this specific user.

I have other reasons for wanting to disable the updates. One is that many webpages and online services are slow with updates for Ubuntu. When my Firefox was last updated I could no longer use one of the webpages I most frequently use, and worse, I could no longer use my electronic identification for bank/tax services etc.

On a principal level too, I want to be in command myself of what version I am using and when to change.

So, a proper solution would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Open Software Center, click "Edit >> Software Sources" in the menu, click the "Updates" tab. Configure "When there are security updates" to "Display Immediately". Configure "Automatically Check for updates" as "Never" or "Every two weeks". If you choose "Never", you will have to check for updates and update manually. If you choose "Every two weeks" you will be prompted for the updates. When that happen, select all packages except the ones related to Firefox and update.

From Firefox 10 onwards, extensions will considered compatible by default, so most likely you won't experience issues with the electronic identification. To avoid issues with web sites that doesn't recognize your browser, use User Agent Switcher.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mnemanic View Post
    I don't understand why this thread is marked as [SOLVED]. I would also like to stop Ubuntu/Firefox from automatic version updating. That doesn't mean I want to stop security updates, which was what the only "solution" posted here implied. ....
    What do you mean by Ubuntu/Firefox? Assuming you mean the Firefox that is provided with the Ubuntu installation, there's no way to get just the security updates and not the version updates for more recent Fx versions. IIRC, from ver. 4 onwards, older versions won't be supported. If you just want security updates, they may be available only for 3.6 (which Mozilla is desperately trying to kill off).