Thread: Lost Evolution Inbox and other top level mail folders during upgrade to 11.04

Beans

Lost Evolution Inbox and other top level mail folders during upgrade to 11.04

Hi. I've just upgraded to 11.04 and I created a evolution-backup.tar.gz file as I've done in other upgrades. When I restored the backup and started Evolution, I've lost all the emails in top-level folders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts etc). My own custom folders within these top level folders contain the emails that I backed up. There are quite a few important emails that I've yet to respond to in my Inbox and this is very concerning.

Also, I've lost all my Contacts!

Any ideas - this has worked flawlessly before.

Beans

Re: Lost Evolution Inbox and other top level mail folders during upgrade to 11.04

Another snippet of information.

.evolution/mail/local$ vi Inbox

When I look in the Inbox file (which is 1.6G), I can find the text of an email which I know to be in my Inbox and not in a sub-directory. But it just seems that Evolution isn't displaying this message.

Thanks!

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Lost Evolution Inbox and other top level mail folders during upgrade to 11.04

I sorted this out! Yippee! And I have to say that it was a very simple problem.

11.04 (or is it Evolution?) no longer uses the .evolution folder to store folders and mail. It uses the .local/share/evolution folder. So when I used the tar command to restore my backup that I'd taken from 10.04, I could move the .gconf and .gnome2_private files as before. But all the files in the restored .evolution folder needed to be moved to the .local/share/evolution folder. Now it all works fine.

I hope that this helps somebody else. The documentation for upgrading to 11.04 could have been clearer because I'm sure that this is a common problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lost Evolution Inbox and other top level mail folders during upgrade to 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by SusieSA View Post
    I sorted this out! Yippee! And I have to say that it was a very simple problem.

11.04 (or is it Evolution?) no longer uses the .evolution folder to store folders and mail. It uses the .local/share/evolution folder. So when I used the tar command to restore my backup that I'd taken from 10.04, I could move the .gconf and .gnome2_private files as before. But all the files in the restored .evolution folder needed to be moved to the .local/share/evolution folder. Now it all works fine.

I hope that this helps somebody else. The documentation for upgrading to 11.04 could have been clearer because I'm sure that this is a common problem.
    Who told you to use a tar backup for the upgrade?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Now that is a good question, David! I've been using Ubuntu for 5 years now and have done similar upgrades about times before and every time I've done an upgrade, I've used the tar backup. Now, when I revisit the Installation Guide, Section 3 (Before Installing Ubuntu) has a sub-section called 'Back Up Your Existing Data!'. So I backed up everything including my email. Seemed logical to use the old way that I've always done it before.

Also, I did the complete installation of 11.04 and erased 10.04 so I was extra cautious to back up everything.

What should I have done?

And now I'm in a pickle with my Contacts because they too are in the wrong folder and I'm struggling to get Evolution to read the Contacts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks David.