Thread: How to set up password protection for specific applications?

Beans

Exclamation How to set up password protection for specific applications?

Hi, is there a way to make a password key-ring for a list of specific applications, specifically; all the applications relating to preferences. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04, I'm the only user, I disabled all login password requirements because they were annoying me and I'm cool with anybody using any of my applications as long as they aren't capable of changing my system in any way. Some of the applications I would like to be on the list include the terminal, the network connections preferences, the keyboard preferences. I wan't to be prompted for a password before opening these programs.

Taz
    Last edited by tazboxe; July 2nd, 2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Forgot my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to set up password protection for specific applications?

well, this is one way -- but note that anyone who knows what he/she is doing can reverse this really easy...

for each program (I'm using the terminal for example):

Code:
    cp  /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop ~/.local/applications/
    gedit ~/.local/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop
    append "gksu " without quotes to the "Exec" line. That will prompt for a password now, but it will also run as root -- that might not work for the network preferences and some other apps. Maybe just set up a guest account, and enable auto screen locking?

{edit}
    to reverse the above: remove the file(s) you copied into .local/share/applications, in my example above the file is gnome-terminal.desktop
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    well, this is one way -- but note that anyone who knows what he/she is doing can reverse this really easy...

for each program (I'm using the terminal for example):

Code:
    cp  /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop ~/.local/applications/
    gedit ~/.local/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop
    append "gksu " without quotes to the "Exec" line. That will prompt for a password now, but it will also run as root -- that might not work for the network preferences and some other apps. Maybe just set up a guest account, and enable auto screen locking?

{edit}
    to reverse the above: remove the file(s) you copied into .local/share/applications, in my example above the file is gnome-terminal.desktop
    I should mention that I'm rather new to Ubuntu so could you explain it to me as you would to a two year old, I don't quite get what you mean. I pasted the code into the terminal, I got that far but then I wasn't sure what to do next.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What nerdy_kid is suggesting, is not a very good idea, as all the configuration files would be in root's home directory, which is only accessible by the root user, which is disabled by default.

What applications do you want to block? If we knew that, we would know how to help you solve the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tazboxe View Post
    I should mention that I'm rather new to Ubuntu so could you explain it to me as you would to a two year old, I don't quite get what you mean. I pasted the code into the terminal, I got that far but then I wasn't sure what to do next.
    ah, my apologies, just ignore what I said to do then as it probably won't really work anyway...

However, would enabling the guest account and setting the computer to automatically lock the screen perhaps be a easier solution?
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7