Thread: iphone4 and natty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

iphone4 and natty

Hi Guys
    Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a quick search and did not find any previous posts.
    I am thinking about getting a new phone and the options are iphone or android.
    I have had nokia 5800 up to now. I can connect it to Ubuntu and it is mounted as fat32 media disk. Then I use rsync to syncronise music or documents.
    Is that possible to do with iphone or android phones.
    I guess there is no chance to sync calendar and contacts prior to giving your personal information to google or itunes for the time being, so I will not bother you with that.
    So if any of you have some experience please let me know as I have to make a choice and live with it for the next 24 months.
    thanks in advance
    sokol
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Paddy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: iphone4 and natty

Plug an Android phone into the computer (you might need to select an option that appears on your phone's screen, depends on the phone) and the phone's SD card will appear on the computer desktop.

The SD card contains the most user-important stuff such as music, downloads, documents, and photos.

I wouldn't bother with an iPhone; too much chance of its hacked-up Ubuntu compatibility breaking with iOS updates.

Tip for you: When you get an Android phone and start adding contacts, it will ask you for each contact where you want to save it to. Don't choose "Phone", choose your Google account. Otherwise, it will not sync your contacts to the cloud and if you lost your phone you would lose your contacts as well.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well android will certainly be alot easier and more stable to sync on ubuntu then iphone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well
    I've made the jump and I own a motorola atrix from 8pm this afternoon.
    One quick question, how can you stream music to it.
    In Nokia, I used real player and it was fantastic for playing internet streams. Is there something similar in Android?
    Thanks in advance
    Sokol
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Paddy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would try Music Beta from Google. I had to ask for an invitation about a week ago and the invite came a few days later. For now it is letting you store 20,000 songs. The only caveat is they are considering charging for it later.
    System76 Serval Performance 4
    Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit

Beans
    Hidden!

Real player is in the android market, so you can get it.