Thread: Help Installing a Printer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help Installing a Printer

Quote Originally Posted by sentimentGX4 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It worked!

Now I'm getting the error that my OS is the wrong architecture. The worst part about it is that the tutorial told me to use a 64-bit OS and I downloaded the 64-bit Ubuntu just so my printer drivers would work!
    Heh-heh. The i386 indicates 32-bit drivers, not 64-bit ones. (You can find out if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit using

uname -a

A 32 bit system will show i386 and a 64-bit system i86_64.

I think from Lucid onwards ia32-libs is included by default on all 64-bit OS versions (so that 32-bit drivers can be used on 64-bit systems). To be sure, try installing it first:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

The error about the wrong architecture is why you use the

--force-all

option. I use this and it installs ok despite the error.

As to RPM packages, those are for Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora systems. I have never had luck using them (even with Alien) on Debian systems. Stick with the .deb packages for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Debian from

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com....html#MFC-7340

(OIC. the Brother-provided .deb packages were converted from .rpm packages by Alien. Never mind.)

I think I remember having to install the LPR package first and then the cupsdriver package.

sudo dpkg -i --force-all brmfc7340lpr-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperMFC7340-2.0.2-1.i386.deb

Also, I tend to look for missing dependencies whenever an installation (of any sort) fails:
    sudo apt-get install -f

Lastly, you can always try
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure brmfc7340lpr-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure cupswrapperMFC7340-2.0.2-1.i386.deb

BTW, if you do get it installed, it is only part of the battle. You still have to install the scanner drivers and fax drivers separately. I wrote down how I did that here:

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.php/MFC-7820N
    Last edited by perspectoff; July 2nd, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans

ia32-libs is already installed.

gavin@gavin-HP-Pavilion-dv9700-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    [sudo] password for gavin:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    ia32-libs is already the newest version.
    ia32-libs set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Synaptic Package Manager indicates I have "version:20090808ubuntu13" installed.

Beans

ia32-libs is already installed.

Synaptic Package Manager indicates I have "version:20090808ubuntu13" installed.
    I don't know if you've seen it, but this thread makes reference to the very error you describe. I'd advise reading the entire thread, but pay particular attention to posts 8 and 15, where the poster proposes a solution. Warning: It involves opening a terminal and running a script to complete configuration of the Brother files. I can't vouch for its success since I don't own your model.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cjazz View Post
    I don't know if you've seen it, but this thread makes reference to the very error you describe. I'd advise reading the entire thread, but pay particular attention to posts 8 and 15, where the poster proposes a solution. Warning: It involves opening a terminal and running a script to complete configuration of the Brother files. I can't vouch for its success since I don't own your model.
    Thanks for your concern, cjazz!

I think you linked me to the wrong thread, though. There's no post 15 and I'm not having trouble with my MBR (yet, lolz).

EDIT: I installed the printer! Used RPM and followed instructions more closely.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; July 2nd, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

Beans

Thanks for your concern, cjazz!

I think you linked me to the wrong thread, though. There's no post 15 and I'm not having trouble with my MBR (yet, lolz).

EDIT: I installed the printer! Used RPM and followed instructions more closely.
    First of all, congratulations on solving your problem. Second, you're absoluytely right. Wrong link. For anyone looking, this is the link I intended.

Again, glad you found an answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12