Thread: Graphical Booting prob with B53 (ati mobility)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Graphical Booting prob with B53 (ati mobility)

Dear community,

Being a former mac user, I'm quite familiar with unix system but not an expert in linux.
    I recently decided to quit apple to buy a Asus B53J on which I installed Ubuntu 11.04

My problem is that my Ubuntu installation doesn't boot (regular or recovery mode) anymore. It freezes few second after the GRUB menu on a black screen (or on log lines in recovery mode) without (as far as I know) any error/failure message.
    The only way I can boot it is to plug an additional external diplay, via the vga plug.I get then easily to the login menu in dual-headed, I can then detach the external display, I log in Ubuntu and everything work fine.

I presume the problem is in the graphic soft/hardware.
    I check already the log files but I didn't find something that look like a error to me (maybe I can't identify it) and It was then hard for me to search for similar problem threads on the forum. Anyway I'll post those files hereafter to let the experts have a look.

These Asus B53 are built with a Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5470 card and with an additional integrated intel GPU chipset.

Having tried the Catalyst driver and having suffered from all the lacks of capabilities in a first installation,
    I use since 2 month the open-radeon drivers (I made a fresh reinstallation of linux from scratch so their is no trace of the catalyst drivers on my machine) and I was most of the time able to boot ubuntu without problem so far with the radeo drivers.

Thanks for any good advices!

A

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Graphical Booting prob with B53 (ati mobility)

Here are the log files I have been looking at without finding anything.
    For info:
    on July 1st at 10:31 , that was a booting trial that failed
    on July 1st at 11:42 , that was a sucessful boot dual headed.

thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files