Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't believe how fast Opera is...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I can't believe how fast Opera is...

Xubuntu 6.06 + Opera + uTorrent (wine) = One powerful and wicked light machine.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Opera is great but Firefoxs resource management can improve dramatically with a short trip into about:config. The worse culprit for memory over usage is the fact it stores 8 pages for every tab open when I specifically never use forward and back but just tab everything. Just cut it down to 1 and the resource side improves greatly with little or no slowdown if you do tab everything like me.

Also you can actually cap the memory firefox uses in about:config as well. I'm not sure how to do this though you'd have to search mozillazine.

//edit - I've just read the post above which says exactly the same as what I've said//

Beans

Ok, for all the ones who are trying opera, here is a useful link, with a lot of information on how to use this powerful browser: 30 days to become a opera lover

Only one other thing:
    Firefox is a 8.1 Mb download, and it gives you only the browser;
    Opera is a 5.2 Mb download (the 9 beta) and you get also a Mail client, Bittorrent client, a Presentation Tool (OperaShow), an RSS client, and a lot more...

(Yes, i am a opera fan )
    Last edited by Disabled; May 21st, 2006 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

if you want fast, try this patched version of dillo - http://teki.jpn.ph/pc/software/index-e.shtml

(it's more useful than regular dillo.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Disabled
    Ok, for all the ones who are trying opera, here is a useful link, with a lot of information on how to use this powerful browser: 30 days to become a opera lover

Only one other thing:
    Opera is a 5.2 Mb download (the 9 beta) and you get also a Mail client, Bittorrent client, a Presentation Tool (OperaShow), an RSS client, and a lot more...

(Yes, i am a opera fan )
    FF has RSS support..

Opera's bit torrent client is awful on all OSes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDuality
    FF has RSS support..

Opera's bit torrent client is awful on all OSes.
    I agree. I don't think any serious bittorrent user would use it.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Opera is a pretty cool browser. Undoubtedly it's much less resource intensive than Firefox. I personally prefer Firefox's interface better... Opera's interface just has too much for me to put up with.

I wish Opera was open source too... I still feel more secure using Firefox...

Also, Opera still has rendering issues, especially with AJAX sites like Google Calendar.
    Last edited by jdong; May 21st, 2006 at 04:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

If you want to tweak Firefox you should try this guide. I tried to use Opera but I've become used to the way Firefox works and looks that I just keep it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Disabled

Only one other thing:

(Yes, i am a opera fan )

That link took me to microsoft.com

There were threee posts in a row about Opera's issues with multimedia for example mplayerplugin etc. Would be great to have a solution to this posted. Instead alot of details of how to make Firefox faster or other fast browsers, hmmm....?
    Last edited by sophtpaw; May 21st, 2006 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

There were threee posts in a row about Opera's issues with multimedia for example mplayerplugin etc. Would be great to have a solution to this posted. Instead alot of details of how to make Firefox faster or other fast browsers, hmmm....?
    Well I think it is not easily possible and it might not be for a long time (years or so - if yuo are interested why, try to search opera forums for mplayer plugin)), at least when it comes to linux. This http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...297093#3297093 gets it semi-work but with no controls like play/pause and it seems to me it odes not play as many videos as firefox does either. Then again, I think Firefox under linux plays fewer videos than opera under Windows.

I personally do not mind since I hardly ever watch videos.

Also, flash is - at least for me - slower with Opera (beta1, maybe that is the problem, I do not remeber whethet it was as slow for regular 8.5 as well) then with firefox. Otherwise, Opera rocks.

BTW:bittorrent client is not supposed to be used for some serous pirating or anything similar, it is just a tool that does not force you to open an external application when you come across a torrent file on the internet - and I think that it is really neat since I otherwise do not use torrents. ANd it is even better now when it does not rehash the downloading files when Opera is restarted.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast