Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct...

Beans

Red face dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct...

I found <a href="http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388348">this</a> thread, but I still run into trouble. Here's what I get when I run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' (everything in-between the stars):

warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 43882 package 'virtualbox-3.1':
    error in Version string '3.1.4-57640_Ubuntu_karmic': invalid character in revision number
    Setting up noip2 (2.1.9-3) . . .

Auto configuration for Linux client of no-ip.com.

2 hosts are registered to this account.
    Do you wish to have them all updated?[N] (y/N)

...And when I choose either y/n, it just hangs up forever. HELP! I can't install or uninstall anything! Synaptic Package Manger won't run. I can't do it manually, either...

What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct

Delete all the files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates and try reinstalling the VirtualBox package from scratch.

Beans

Re: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct

Will this re-enable me to install things? I'm not so concerned about VirtualBox; I actually tried to uninstall it in order to get around this error, but I can't do that.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by trmnshwrx View Post
    Will this re-enable me to install things? I'm not so concerned about VirtualBox; I actually tried to uninstall it in order to get around this error, but I can't do that.
    In short,
    Yes, it will.

Beans

Nothing there in the first place. I even opened nautilus from root to see. It's empty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by trmnshwrx View Post
    It's possible that /var/lib/dpkg/available may have somehow become corrupted, but you should have a backup of that file in the same directory, named available-old. Delete available and run sudo apt-get update. Then try to install a package.

If that doesn't fix your problem, do it again, and as a third step delete all files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates BEFORE you try to install another package.

Beans

Thanks! It still told me that it couldn't get an exclusive lock...and that was after sudo rm var/lib/apt/lists/lock ... Anyway, so I rebooted, ran apt-get update, and now I'm actually upgrading to Natty Narwhal.

Beans

(aborted, once my computer found out how much disk space Natty wants...but at least my initial problem was fixed...)

Beans

Hi, I am unable to delete /var/lib/dpkg/available or anything from file system except home folder, is there a way to setup permission to do it? tnx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel14 View Post
    Hi, I am unable to delete /var/lib/dpkg/available or anything from file system except home folder, is there a way to setup permission to do it? tnx
    Are you in the sudoers group? if so just do:
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/available

if you just want access to the files you would have to chmod it to the correct permissions, for everyone on the system it would be:
    sudo chmod 777 /var/lib/dpkg/available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast