Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G4 Kernel Upgrade (will not boot new kernel)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: G4 Kernel Upgrade (will not boot new kernel)

I'll try reorganizing my yaboot.conf a bit tomorrow, but I don't think it's that, as I get the same results if I manually boot my kernel image from either Open Firmware or the yaboot prompt (the whole device path, not just the yaboot label).

As for why I'm using a custom kernel...my final goal is to be able to boot linux off of the SATA drive inside my Powermac G4. However, this SATA drive runs off of an Acard PCI SATA controller, which your run of the mill kernel has problems with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: G4 Kernel Upgrade (will not boot new kernel)

I changed the status to solved, as I think my errors a result of simply not choosing appropriate options for my kernel.

I downloaded a newer Debain netinstall disc, and it was able to install and boot my SATA drive. I did have to trick yaboot a little though - the install disc sees my drive as /dev/sdb, but the actual install recognizes my drive as /dev/hdi. This just means I had to play with the "boot=" and "root=" parts of yaboot.conf a little, but I've got it mostly sorted out.

Unfortunately, multiple processors are disable by default, so I"m back to trying to build a new kernel - but at least I have the SATA drive booting...I can finally ditch the old IDE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12