Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

A former colleague used to store important documents in the 'bin' as the icon was on the desktop and easily accessible. Thanks to the size of the bin folder, she never lost anything... as far as I know!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

People who have to "forward this to everyone in your address book", and include your email address in plain view. Who knows where it will end up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My father does not use his computer now, but when he did . . . I would be visiting and getting ready to leave, and then he'd say, "Hey, will you look at my computer before I leave? Something happened and I don't know how to fix it." So, I'd go turn on the machine, and see a gizillion shortcut icons scattered at random over the screen. "Well, what's wrong?" Then he'd get on the machine and start moving the mouse over the place, and clicking at random as he went. Using the mouse like that, there was no telling what he had done.

I finally realized one reason . . . it was a way to keep me there another 30 minutes to an hour. Really, that is a good thing.

As far as the shortcuts, there was no curing that, nor could I cure him from clicking at random. And, as he used windows, he just didn't realize how valuable an anti-virus program was. I'm sure he never did any updates. He would never pay of a subscription after the free one ran out that came on the machine.

But he did manage to keep me there an hour or so longer.

Beans

Quote: I have a family member that constantly complains their computer is slow when it is just their slow net connection. It is running 32-bit Debian with 3gb of RAM. It is quite speedy.

Or the other way round! This must be why the ISPs get loads of people subscribing to overkill plans!
    Too many cooks don't spoil the broth with Linux, and Ubuntu is the best broth!

Mint-Ireland, Ubuntu-UK, SUSE-Germany, Fedora-USA, ROSA-From Russia, with Love!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910