Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadunit404 View Post
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I stopped caring what people do with their computers a long time ago. I'll probably start caring again if the time comes that I ever have to work in a help desk position.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Over tabbing! Tabbed browsing is a great thing, but my buddy takes it to the extreme. You open firefox on his machine and 20 minutes later all gazillion tabs finally load!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Allavona View Post
    Over tabbing! Tabbed browsing is a great thing, but my buddy takes it to the extreme. You open firefox on his machine and 20 minutes later all gazillion tabs finally load!
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

... people who type "facebook.com" into Google's search box instead of the normal place for addresses on the browser.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Allavona View Post
    I have a pretty bad habbit of doing that, I always end up with a gizillion tabs after a long browsing session
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro

My uncle and I bought a computer for my grandmother a few years ago (she's 83). I know that this is all unfamiliar territory for her, but I do often feel like I'm beating my head against a wall when I try to explain something to her or help her out with a computer problem.

It took me forever to convince her that the internet is not contained within AOL. "You can get to all your political blogs from Firefox too, really!"

And somehow she kept resetting her system clock to two or three years in the past, so all the websites she tried to visit would give her an 'expired security certificate' warning. That was a fun one to troubleshoot over the phone.

She really does pretty well, all things considered. I just wish she would stop clicking 'like' on every single status or post in her Facebook news feed. It drives the rest of my family crazy.

Beans
    Distro

Was doing PC maintenance work few years back. Once we got a call from cyber cafe whose owner is a computer illiterate old man. One of the PC was infected by Virus and corrected it. While paying bill, old man asked what was the issue. We told him that the PC was infected by virus. All of a sudden, old man turned to a lady who was looking after the cyber cafe and strated blasting " Didn't I told you to cover the PC's while we closing? See now, they got infected by virus" . The lady and we are speechless. We collected our money and came outside at the earliest and started laughing like any thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mambeu View Post
    My uncle and I bought a computer for my grandmother a few years ago (she's 83). I know that this is all unfamiliar territory for her, but I do often feel like I'm beating my head against a wall when I try to explain something to her or help her out with a computer problem.

It took me forever to convince her that the internet is not contained within AOL. "You can get to all your political blogs from Firefox too, really!"

And somehow she kept resetting her system clock to two or three years in the past, so all the websites she tried to visit would give her an 'expired security certificate' warning. That was a fun one to troubleshoot over the phone.

She really does pretty well, all things considered. I just wish she would stop clicking 'like' on every single status or post in her Facebook news feed. It drives the rest of my family crazy.

You know, I have no problem being patient with older generations when it comes to computer instructions. My parents still don't understand certain computing concepts, but I don't have a problem with that at all, I explain it to them every time they ask or are confused, it is something I have come to live with.

Where I don't have any patience is with similarly aged individuals and colleagues. People who don't have an excuse in my opinion.

Like this one colleague who asked me several times if she could highlight text and copy it, from a JPEG...
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources | Ask Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Quadunit404 View Post
    a classic
    yes i'm a nood

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast