Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

People's computing habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

I'm sorry if I don't appear civil, but I'm quite frustrated right now so if I can even let it out (and share) it for a bit, I'm fine.

Today, there's still people who don't know what or where e-mails addressed to them come from and they check the whole mail out anyway, and I have seen these people live.

One of them would be my father, whose computer knowledge is your run-of-the-mill the-other-end-of-the-scale in stark contrast to what most people would find knowledgeable; these kind of people.

I've told him quite a few times already: "If you don't know what or where the e-mail comes from, don't bother to even open it. Sent it to the dustbin straight away!"

But nope, he just checks all of them and I get pissed off everytime I see he opens a link in these e-mails and it leads to a website which makes no attempt in hiding the fact that they are pyramid schemes seeking to pull people in. Good thing there isn't a malicious mail... yet, and the PC (running Windows 7) has yet to be bricked thanks to his behaviour.

Don't take me wrong, I have nothing against my father. I just wish he could listen to what I said about freaking SPAM, and I'm quite disappointed my ISP doesn't seem to have spam filters in their mail accounts.

That's my story for now. Let's share yours and others, gentlemen!

Also, moderators, I'm sorry if you find this inappropriate, please take appropriate action straight away if there's a need. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by FlameReaper; June 29th, 2011 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

What about people who are still looking for the any key on their keyboard is some message pops up which says at the end of the message: "Press any key to continue".....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nomko View Post
    What about people who are still looking for the any key on their keyboard is some message pops up which says at the end of the message: "Press any key to continue".....
    I didn't think that was real but I worked at a computer store about 20 years ago, the dialog came up that said "Press a key to continue" and the customer was looking for the 'a' key, and then pressed it.

Beans

Worked Tech Support years back. Had a person call in about not being able to get their computer to power on. After about 30 mins on the phone I realised they had their power strip plugged back into its self. I explained to them that they had to plug it into the wall outlet, but for the life of them they could not comprehend the idea..
    Their reply was "But its plugged up?".
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: People's computer habits that make you want to slam your head on desks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Worked Tech Support years back. Had a person call in about not being able to get their computer to power on. After about 30 mins on the phone I realised they had their power strip plugged back into its self.
    I know someone who used to do tech support..She saw the same thing when she went to "fix" a computer. People's 1q's tend to drop 20 points anytime they are near a computer for some reason.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My recent favorite, my wife who only uses Macs, got a facebook message from a "friend" who see has not talk to in ages (besides the initial facebook friend request). The message had a link in it, so of course my wife clicked it. Guess what, virus, the very one Apple had to release a patch for. She as a unique knack for always having to click on links needlessly yet since she has always had a Mac she has not gotten a virus. Well that finally caught up to her.

Beans

Remember how you didn't know how to tie your shoe laces?
    Ride a bike
    Catch a fish..........

Your "dad" showed you how.

The supercilious attitudes displayed in the thread are nauseating.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I dislike the whole "Why is my [Windows] computer running so slow?" They ask me to fix it like I have some kind of special powers. I have used Windows and have had no problems with Windows slowing down. I have an old laptop with Windows 2000 on it. (It was made for XP) That old laptop loads programs faster than their current machine. I truly don't know what goes on to slow people's computers down. My boss used to say with Windows a regular user just needs to reinstall the whole OS every year or so.

I DON'T KNOW WHY YOUR COMPUTER IS SO SLOW.

Beans

I understand that quite alot people are computer illiterate, and they often ask me for help... which I wont mind aslong they are reasonable with their demands. But what is a red flag to me is when they at the same time I should help them with stuff they themself admit know nothing about they want to correct and lecture me with some filthy crap they red in some computer boulevard magazines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A little while ago, I used a (Windows) laptop from my wife's work. It was a few years old, and as far as I could tell, it had never been defragmented, the waste had never been emptied and none of the programs - boring stuff like firewalls, virus software, etc - had ever been updated. It also had almost every bit of junk on it known to humanity. So much of this stuff loaded on boot, that it was almost entirely unusable - a situation not helped by an impressive ecosystem of viruses but amazingly it was used regularly by the person who did the computer maintenance. C'mon. It's not hard to look after a computer...especially if your job is looking after computers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast