Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD problem

Beans

Re: SSD problem

Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    There is such a thing as failure of the SSD ...
    This is probably the case, as revealed by....

Quote Originally Posted by martinyt
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdd: 0 MB, 32768 bytes
    This says that fdisk is finding the disk to be a mere 32,768 bytes (note: bytes, not some larger multiple of that, like gibibytes) in size. For comparison, a 128-entry GPT consumes a total of 34,304 bytes (including both primary and backup data structures), so this disk, as seen by fdisk, isn't even large enough to partition with a standard-sized GPT.

FWIW, gdisk produces similar output (it reports the disk's size in both sectors and MiB, GiB, TiB, or other multiple-of-bytes value), but dabl's gdisk examples have all been edited to omit this information, so it's impossible to see how gdisk is seeing the disk. gdisk, and probably fdisk, determines the disk size without referring to the MBR data, so erasing the MBR data will do nothing to change this if it's being misdetected. It's conceivable, though, that the drive is OK and it's a driver issue, kernel bug, or a bug in partitioning software. Testing in another (non-Linux) OS, such as Windows or FreeBSD, would reveal if this was the case.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

ok. So, I got gdisk 0.7.2, but I still can't create any partions. Here is a print of the MBR partition

Expert command (? for help): o

Disk size is 64 sectors (32.0 KiB)
    MBR disk identifier: 0x00000000
    MBR partitions:

Number Boot Start Sector End Sector Status Code
    1 1 63 primary 0xEE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by martinyt View Post
    dabl -gparted just crashed -
    Ummmmmm -- that's not a good thing.

FWIW, I personally made a Parted Magic Live USB stick long time ago -- in addition to Parted it has some other excellent diagnostics and utilities for working with drives and partitions. So if you boot it, then browse to your device, you should be able to launch GParted and make the new partition table.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

dabl - I managed to start gparted again, but the same thing happened - I tries to set a new partion table, but returnes an error and "lose" the disc - It wont show up in fdisk either. I complet shutdown does make it appear again.

I'll try your suggestion - since don't have any other platforms to try the disc on - but maybe srs5694 - if I get desperate enough I will try it on a different platform.

Beans

dabl - It did not work. Same problem.

Beans

Martinyt,

Please re-read my previous post. Your disk is not being detected correctly by any Linux disk partitioning tool. This means it will be impossible to partition it correctly unless and until you track down the source of the problem. Chances are dabl was correct in suggesting you've got defective hardware. The simplest way to test that hypothesis is to test the disk under another OS and/or on another computer. Doing anything else at this point is a waste of time.

(As a side note, there are precisely three Linux partitioning tools: the fdisk family [fdisk, sfdisk, and cfdisk], the libparted family [GNU Parted, GParted, Palimpsest Disk Utility, and several others], and the GPT fdisk family [gdisk and sgdisk]. You've tested with members of all three families, so trying more partitioning programs will almost certainly be fruitless.)
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

srs5694 - ok. my next step is try it on a nother platform. I guess conecting it through usb would work? This step might take I while, but I'll post as soon as I am getting something. Thanks!

Beans

Ok. So I have tried it in windows. The disc is recognised and it says that there no problem with the disk. -However - I can't access it and it is not given a name (E: or something)

When I start the "computer management" in windows a popup tells me it would like to initialize and convert the disk. It says it is unknown and not initialize. After completing the initializing it says it is online. However, I am still not able to access the disc and the same message pops up when I reconnect the disc.

Is it broken? More tests?

Beans

It sounds like it's broken to me. Contact the manufacturer to see if you can get an in-warranty replacement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12