Thread: Thread Killer(s)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread Killer(s)

So. One rotten apple, and one momentarily foolish enough to bother with that apple at any length, and that is the end of something a whole flock of us took pleasure from?

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    /me kills thread.

Proper recourse for handling problems with other members of the forum are to report posts, and/or place the offending member in your ignore list.

Thank you all for playing.
    Excellent, the 'apple' is on my ignore list but my friend saw fit to tackle the apple overnight and this has gotten one of my fave game threads closed - must I regret that my friend fell for the goading nature of that apple's posts?

One rotten apple abused the abuse button until 8000+ (mostly, if not at least semi-)hilarious gems were put to the fire (as far as I can currently know) and what could dozens of us do? We could only watch in dismay and try not to flame that bludger too hard, regardless his ongoing goads.

I question this closure: How necessary was it? Yes, the conversation wasn't witty and fun BUT how did it rate closing the thread? Couldn't the specific players have been warned? I can't spot a seriously offensive post actually, just a bunch of dumb ones - was there a post removed that warranted dmizer's closure of the thread?

Sure, that crap is just games, yup. They are there, they provide relief for people who are getting burned out from trying to assist others and they provide members of our community with somewhere to 'muck up' - whether momentarily, like many, or near-continuously, like me

I respectfully request that this post/thread not be moved to the RC section of FF&H because I want my peers, with less than admin rights, to be able to post to this 'query' without having to start a new thread. Thanks.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Re: Thread Killer(s)

Code of Conduct...

"If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please post politely in the Resolution Center and help us understand your perspective."

Thread transferred to the Resolution center.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks KiwiNZ, I can't argue your reasoning then, for moving it thus; A friend of mine PM'd me that it would so likely be moved that he reported it for such a move. Oh well, I just would have posted on cpmman's thread of similar title if the RC wasn't locked to the OP and Admins.

I have only added one person to my ignore list and I just observed that they followed me in the "Guess the name of the next user" thread so I (quite foolishly, I wonder now) clicked the 'view post' link that appears with hidden posts. I offer you their post as an example of the goading.

To quote him in context I will quote from a couple of posts above him.

Quote Originally Posted by s.fox View Post

robsoles next.
    Quote Originally Posted by robsoles View Post
    I'm too easy, aren't I sweetie? ()

Quote Originally Posted by PCaddicted View Post
    I wonder how do some users dare to post such talk . Isn't it against CoC?
    Personally, I wouldn't call anybody on UF "sweetie", not even on a game thread.
    btw, I'm not ubunterooster.
    KL_72_TR is next.

So, my problem with his post is that he just seems to be trying to goad me, or any number of, users by 'nonsensing' (forgive my abuse of language please) the UF CoC and if we set about reporting such posts in threads he could post enough for us to report 'abuse' button the thread right into the jail. If he isn't trying to goad with some sort of overzealousified idea of the UF CoC then he's oft enough using other techniques of inciting nonsense.

I must admit that last time I reviewed his posts to word games he seemed to be playing within the rules for most of them but I believe a strict review of his posts, from day dot, would give most people the impression that negative goading posts still go on to outweigh enlightening, uplifting, seriously humorous or helpful posts on their part.

I feel like apologising for being motivated about this at all, let alone making such a long post about it but some of that user's behaviour is really discouraging, so, perhaps I better just apologise that I do make some of my posts a bit long, causing TL's with DR's

Thanks for taking the time, sorry for asking you to spend it.
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Distro

Never mind any threads recently closed in the CCG by any mods lately, please can I ask you guys to look at the trail of 'spoiling' around them. This is really about the serious de-valuing that I feel PCaddicted individually adds to the UF CCG, and the impact it has on what could otherwise be some very humorous material.

It is very difficult to stick by an idea of ignoring somebody who keeps following you in your favorite threads, especially when you know they have a habit of posting like the following example from just yesterday;

Quote Originally Posted by PCaddicted View Post
    Yes, but that window will always show fail. This makes you so angry that you start attacking and flaming on UF and the mods ban you forever.
    I wish Metallion would become the ultimate thread killer, surpassing me by far.
    (Please view it in context, in response to my wish...)

I can't see anything even slightly humorous about this post, I actually view it as basically inflammatory and would remove it had I such access. I see his wish as being much more a gloat about having seriously spoiled some threads, if not a goad for Metallion.

Are you guys really determined to put up with that kind of stuff getting riddled through your website here? It isn't nice and it doesn't encourage nice responses either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Honestly it looks as if you feuding with PCaddicted and I am not sure what it is you expect us to do about it.

I suggest you report such threads and allow the staff to review them. The resolution center is not the place to do this.

The resolution center is for you to discuss your account with us, or actions taken on your account by staff. The resolution center is not a place for you to discuss accounts of others, nor is it a place for you to bring your feud.

The staff will not take action when you report threads here as we ask the moderators not to take action on threads in the Resolution Center.

The Café is for off topic conversations and unless there is a violation of Code of Conduct the staff will not take action. In that event you will need to learn to be more tolerant, ignore such posts by PCaddicted, and or not frequent the café.

As you posted in the Resolution Center, I reviewed the post in question this one time, and I do not see a violation of the Code of Conduct. In the future I will move such reports her in the resolution center to the jail.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Well, as I start so many feuds here, with such reasonable people, I think I'd best take a break and reconsider how I cope with my day.

Thanks for taking the time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by robsoles View Post
    Well, as I start so many feuds here, with such reasonable people, I think I'd best take a break and reconsider how I cope with my day.

Thanks for taking the time.
    Taking a break sounds like a very good idea.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

So, you really reckon I'm "feudal", that's a pity. I shan't cut off my hand to spite folly, nor dispute any such claims against me.

I shall play on and see how that goes now. You've made me regret bothering with this so you needn't worry, it will be about my own account if I post anything that belongs in the RC again.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I wont help with the subject, but we used to have a plugin allowing to ignore all posts from specified members. The plugin did not play nice with last forums upgrade. Hopefully we'll find a similar solution once we move to vB 4.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Thanks very much bapoumba, I sure do appreciate the 'angle' of your response more than the prior.

I'm hoping to grow somewhat and fail to need better plugins, or other assistance, regarding this (or similar) situation(s).

I actually thought it better to speak up, rather than shush, but I'm seeing that needs prioritisation and somebody riddling some website I like with narcy goading posts should hold very low priority, for me personally at least, indeed - I needn't oppose them in threads, not my place; If they aren't in specific contravention of the CoC then there is nothing to report, nevermind.

Thanks, or sorry, again.