Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: asus 1215b suspend problems with 11.04

Beans

Unhappy asus 1215b suspend problems with 11.04

Hi there.

I'm new to linux but have my system running perfectly except for whenever I try to resume from suspension (lid close or otherwise). The system will hang on a black screen (no backlight) and won't return to normal unless I hard reset.

I've read that this is a pretty common problem but have yet to find a working solution. Is there any hope?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: asus 1215b suspend problems with 11.04

My Asus 1201t does the same thing with 11.04 Natty, with the default grub settings.

Try this:

• edit the file /etc/default/grub (make a backup first!)
    • find the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT entry
    • replace the value (default is "quiet splash") with "nomodeset" (keep the quotes)
      Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"
    • run the "update-grub" command
    • reboot

Actually you can probably just add "nomodeset" to the "quiet splash" string, but I haven't tried it since I despise "quiet" and "splash".

Beans

this didn't fix the problem.

The system seems to resume but the screen won't come back on.

Beans

I have the same problem. I work on an ASUS K52J and it won't resume after I close the lid and open it again. The fix did not work.

Beans

hibernate works fine, I guess i'll use that until this gets fixed.

It's a shame that so many people are experiencing this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the same problem with a Eee PC 1015 PEM, I tried the fix but now the things are worse....

I can't start gonme any more and the the computer stops on a terminal-like level. I can og in but do no get over terminal level on a black screen. How can I edit /etc/default/grub back to the original version on terminal level? gedit dos not initiate...

Chris

EDIT: I found the command "nano" for editing in the terminal and reversed the changes, Gnome starts again, but still the suspending problem...
    Last edited by Chris11; July 5th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    AMD Atlon 2000+, MSI KT2 Combo, 1.3MB RAM, Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I too have an Asus EeePC 1215B that does not come back from suspend. I am not running the proprietary video drivers (yet).

The is particularly annoying because by default the computer wants to suspend when inactive for some period of time. To avoid problems, I had to go to System -> Preferences -> Power Management and set "Put computer to sleep when inactive for: Never." As an aside, the word "Never" there doesn't make sense in the sentence. It should perhaps be replaced with "eleventy bazillion years."

I do hope that a solution will be found soon! I'm willing to try anything to help if given some direction.

Things I've tried:
    * Disabling kernel mode setting (KMS) via grub options
    * Updating to latest BIOS 0401, changelog for which says "Update AGESA module from V1.0.0.2 to V1.0.9.0 for new CPU support."
    Last edited by rgm3; July 8th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've got new information. I installed the ATI Catalyst Control Center via Ubuntu's "Restricted drivers available" GUI and suspend WORKED! It even resumed quickly, turned on the backlight, and gave me a login prompt.

BUT:

If you ever suspend, even once, it seems that the MBR is corrupted. After suspending and resuming once, if i then choose "Shutdown" (or sudo poweroff) the system will refuse to turn itself off entirely. I then hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn it off. When I turn it back on, I get a blinking _ cursor for about a minute then "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." I think that this message is from the Windows 7 install on my drive.

I think this means that the MBR has been overwritten. To fix it, I have to reinstall grub2 as described here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

The salient command is:
    (boot from liveCD)
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/media/0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444/boot /dev/sda
    Where 0d104aff... is specific to your system.

So, suspend works, but either it jacks up grub2 or the hard-poweroff does. Hibernate does NOT work when the BIOS CPU Information "E6" mode is disabled, but does when that's enabled.

I'd like to try setting up an EFI boot partition as described here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741953

Then, perhaps my suspend and hibernate can both work while using the ATI drivers.
    Last edited by rgm3; July 9th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Beans

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by rgm3 View Post
    I've got new information. I installed the ATI Catalyst Control Center via Ubuntu's "Restricted drivers available" GUI and suspend WORKED!
    Really that worked for you?
    For me to get suspend to ram working (I manually installed catalyst 11.6
    maybe its because of that) I had to disable the c6 powersaving mode
    in the bios and boot ubuntu with vga=0.
    With that I can suspend to ram, but only one time, if I try it again
    it hangs with a black screen with backlight on...

So for now I have given up on that and use suspend to disk if I need suspend :/
    Oh and I use the newest bios from the asus website...

Quote Originally Posted by rgm3 View Post
    BUT:

If you ever suspend, even once, it seems that the MBR is corrupted. After suspending and resuming once, if i then choose "Shutdown" (or sudo poweroff) the system will refuse to turn itself off entirely. I then hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn it off. When I turn it back on, I get a blinking _ cursor for about a minute then "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." I think that this message is from the Windows 7 install on my drive.
    Your MBR is fine! I have this problem too.

This seems to be some kind of nasty BIOS bug, you have to power
    off the netbook and disconnect psu if connected. In worst case
    take battery out for some seconds, than it will boot again.
    This is super annoying and I hope this will get fixed somehow.

Really really hope all this gets better else I will never buy something
    from ASUS again.

Something funny: The preinstalled expressgate seems to run inside
    an intelframebuffer lol... Its beyond me that they can't team up with
    amd and release this with proper hardware acceleration... Whatever
    I removed expressgate anyway...

Beans

I only got suspend to work by disable C9 in bios under CPU settings. I read this advice on some other forum and can confirm it works. Have not found out what C9 does yet, so I have it enable and wait for a fix with this bug. It all goes down to ATI to release a better driver for this hardware.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast