Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I access a computer with no monitor?

Beans

Re: Can I access a computer with no monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by tredegar View Post
    Good

Easiest way to connect it is to connect it to your router with an ethernet cable (you might have to move it close to the router).
    Boot, and you should be connected to your LAN / the internet.

Your router can tell you what LAN IP it has assigned to the desktop. You will need to know this. Check by logging into your router from the laptop, and getting it to list the connected devices.

If the desktop is not listed as connected:

Login to your desktop as yourself. Type
    Code:
    sudo dhclient eth0
    Give your password
    Press return
    Wait a minute, then try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server espeak
    Give your password
    Press return
    Watch your router's lights they should indicate something is happening.
    Wait a few minutes
    See if espeak was installed (I like that idea!)
    Code:
    echo hello | espeak
    If it was, then the openssh-server should be there as well. Remember, your volume may be turned down too low for you to hear anything, so silence does not necessarily mean "fail".

Now try connecting from your laptop with ssh. You must do this once before you can use sftp and nautilus to connect.
    What's the not-easy way? (I lost my Ethernet cables aeons ago..) If it helps I can easily get my routers mac address or essid from my laptop.
    Last edited by Mr_VeRiTy; June 26th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Signatures are a myth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The not-so-easy way is to type a shedload of awkward commands into a terminal, and /or edit some files blindly.

Is your wireless encrypted? WPA WPA2 or WEP?
    What is the name of the wireless interface on your desktop (eg eth1 wlan0 ath0 or something else?

Once you have that information, try this link and you will understand why I am recommending you find a cable. Go next door and beg for one. Offer beer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tredegar View Post
    The not-so-easy way is to type a shedload of awkward commands into a terminal, and /or edit some files blindly.

Is your wireless encrypted? WPA WPA2 or WEP?
    What is the name of the wireless interface on your desktop (eg eth1 wlan0 ath0 or something else?

Once you have that information, try this link and you will understand why I am recommending you find a cable. Go next door and beg for one. Offer beer.
    0_o Sounds difficult, I think I'm just gonna have to put a rush on my monitor delivery.. I'll have to set my wireless up so I can connect from the terminal once I have the monitor though, just in case.

My neighbours didn't have a cable...

Thanks for your help though
    Signatures are a myth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12