Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: How To: ubuntu natty (11.04) on asus a53s (k53sv family)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To: ubuntu natty (11.04) on asus a53s (k53sv family)

I have noticed two new issues:

• System shuts down instead of hibernating
    • One of the usb 2.0 ports stops detecting the usb mouse after some time (usb 3.0 port works fine)

The shutdown was due to UUID mixed up - after fixing that it goes into hibernation but fails to recover due to some problems with usb3 driver (?), saying "device usb3 failed to quesque"s and than hangs. I will keep on looking into this.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I got the hibernation working using following steps:

• sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and adding the following

It is still displaying some weird (hard drive?) error but Evyrything seems to work after resuming from hibernate
    Last edited by bulva; October 20th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

Beans

I'm facing one new issue after upgrading to 11.10 with kernel 3.0.0-12 (iirc, not on laptop right now).

The number of cpus suddenly drop to 1 at runtime, sometimes 3 and sometimes come to normal 8. This causes the cpu temperature to rise suddenly.

Is anyone facing this problem? Any solutions to it?

PS: Before I was using 11.04 with old kernel 2.6.38-11 [/ 12]

Beans

I've been waiting for a thread as good as Cucisian's with 11.10 upgrade to Asus to come up, but nothing came up yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I want to add my experiences with 11.10 and the new 3.0 kernel. In a word:

FANTASTIC.

Built-in support for function keys, trackpad, sleep, etc. No more endless wait to wake up from sleep mode; it's as fast as you'd expect from an 8-core processor!

Still have the same problem with Optimus; that's NVidia's problem. I hear they're working on Linux support for Optimus but it will be a while before we have a driver. In the mean time I got 3D to work by disabling Nvidia altogether and using the onboard Intel graphics chipset. (Remember, Bumblebee/Ironhide won't work with Unity 3D / Compiz.)

But I have it working the way I want and am super happy with the hardware support in 11.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Koppie View Post

Still have the same problem with Optimus; that's NVidia's problem. I hear they're working on Linux support for Optimus but it will be a while before we have a driver. In the mean time I got 3D to work by disabling Nvidia altogether and using the onboard Intel graphics chipset. (Remember, Bumblebee/Ironhide won't work with Unity 3D / Compiz.)

But I have it working the way I want and am super happy with the hardware support in 11.10.

how did you get the nvidia card disabled? and how many hours do you get on battery with the nvidia card disabled?

thanks

Beans

Koppie, Im very interested two. Do you think we should start a new thread just for the 11.10 and keep this one clean?

Beans

I've created a new thread for the Asus k53sv Ubuntu 11.10. Logging my experience there. Hope it helps anyone.
    Last edited by designerferro; November 6th, 2011 at 03:26 AM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415