Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: ubuntu natty (11.04) on asus a53s (k53sv family)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How To: ubuntu natty (11.04) on asus a53s (k53sv family)

i don't use skype.. so no relation for me

Beans

I play local files on data partition (ext4)..

No probs all the day long with VLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ench View Post
    _byron_ try Clementine, it is quite good music player imho.
    I will make some test, thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _byron_ View Post
    I will make some test, thank you
    Same problem !
    How can i find interesting log file when i reboot my laptop ?

Beans

Thanks for the nice post... I have a problem tough. I have a K53SV, I can install bumblebee as you suggest, but when I reboot and try the gdm login the xserver resets and does not allow me to get in; any clue on what I should do?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i use rhythmbox (was the ubuntu default before banshee) for everything from webstreams and local files - no freezes or anything.. can play for hours.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cucisan View Post
    i use rhythmbox (was the ubuntu default before banshee) for everything from webstreams and local files - no freezes or anything.. can play for hours.
    Please help me out!
    I'm thinking about buying this laptop (k53sv); I will use Linux!

Is it a good option? Do you still have big problems? Does your laptop only freezes playing music? Does it happens frequently?

Tnks!

Beans

did you guys tryed to update banshee from the nattye proposed repository? i have now 2.0 (2.0.1).. also some of the freezing i had the impression may be related to libre office, i had a few while i was copy pasting from calc
    Last edited by qmater001; July 27th, 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Beans

GREAT THREAD!

Finally scrolling on touchpad working, i will try disabling the nvidia later to increase battery time or is this to be expected in 11.11?
    If the nvidia card is disabled, will this drop the internal temperature of the laptop (with the same (low) fan speed)?
    And how about the (not working) FN functions? Will this get better in 11.11?

I have no freezing problems but i don't use Skype but i do use WLAN most of the times. Very rarely i have the 2-4 seconds delayed respons mainly when typing and letters don't appear right away......not a big deal.

Another thing i noticed is the WLAN LED, it doesn't light up after reboot/startup while WLAN is activated. If i use Fn and F2 to switch off and on the LED is working with WLAN activated.

Beans

Hi guys,

Just bought an Asus X53SV-SX200V (K53SV model), I'm experiencing the freezes too.

I'm a Fedora 15 refugee where freezes happen too. I switched to ubuntu because this forum seemed active and helped me work out the touchpad, hotkeys and optimus stuff. Thanks everybody

On ubuntu, I've updated to the 3.0.0-7-generic kernel following these instructions : http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/201...u-natty-11-04/

I've also formatted to align my hard drive partitions with the physical sectors of the disk.

After that, I still get the freezes.
    They seem to be related to high hard disk and CPU load. I can reproduce by using the GWT compiler which uses up to 8 threads and a few gigabytes of ram (around 512m per thread).

I've made experiments by changing the number of threads used by the compilation process.
    • 1 thread => OK
    • 2 threads => small/medium lags
    • 4 threads => heavy lag, cannot move the mouse during minutes
    • 8 threads => so much hard drive activity (swap?) that I never managed to reach the end of the compilation. Mouse does not work nor Ctrl+Alt+Del. Had to hard reboot.

Compilation using 8 threads is successful on an older computer with a non Sandy Bridge Intel i5 architecture.

Anybody experiencing freezes under heavy multicore load ?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast