Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Error updating Firefox

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - the old one...
    Beans
    16
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Unhappy Error updating Firefox

    I have only one of my four Ubuntu (all on 11.04) equipped machines running Ubuntuzilla, and until Firefox was updated to 5.0, I never really noticed a problem but the U-zilla machine does not update beyond 3.5.5. Trying to update or reinstall with apt-get I get an error telling me that the package has been diverted by a third-party installer;
    "/usr/bin/firefox has been diverted by a third party package which didn't specify
    a package name to dpkg-divert. This is usually as a result of installing unsupported
    packages from Ubuntuzilla.
    ***This is a BUG. Please report this bug to the vendor of the third party package you installed***"
    Even after removing Ubuntuzilla (which no longer seems necessary) I still get the same problem.

    So. How do I cure this and get my system to update Firefox properly?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Error updating Firefox

    Ubuntuzilla is no longer under development.

    Try this:

    Code:
    sudo rm -fr '/opt/firefox' && sudo rm -f '/usr/bin/firefox' && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove '/usr/bin/firefox'
    Then update your Firefox from the repos, which is already version 5 in Natty.

    If you want the latest beta versions of Firefox, use a mozillateam ppa instead. See Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; June 25th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - the old one...
    Beans
    16
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Smile Re: Error updating Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Ubuntuzilla is no longer under development.

    Try this:

    Code:
    sudo rm -fr '/opt/firefox' && sudo rm -f '/usr/bin/firefox' && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove '/usr/bin/firefox'
    Then update your Firefox from the repos, which is already version 5 in Natty.

    If you want the latest beta versions of Firefox, use a mozillateam ppa instead. See Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread.
    Thank you so much for your advice.
    I gathered that Ubuntuzilla is no longer active, but this machine was first set up on 9.04, when U-zilla was almost essential for prompt updates.

    I had spent several hours trying to implement the advice from another thread which was dealing with a similar problem, but always came up against that dpkg diversion, which I had no idea how to deal with. Your simple few lines of code cured the problem and I now have Firefox 5 on all my machines.

    Thank you again

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Error updating Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by thenudehamster View Post
    Thank you so much for your advice.
    I gathered that Ubuntuzilla is no longer active, but this machine was first set up on 9.04, when U-zilla was almost essential for prompt updates.

    I had spent several hours trying to implement the advice from another thread which was dealing with a similar problem, but always came up against that dpkg diversion, which I had no idea how to deal with. Your simple few lines of code cured the problem and I now have Firefox 5 on all my machines.

    Thank you again
    You are welcome.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    315
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Error updating Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux
    Ubuntuzilla is no longer under development.
    This is what nanotube announced a while ago. Yet, I am not quite sure whether it is completely dead, because my Lucid Lynx (10.04.2) has received the Mozilla Thunderbird update v3.1.11 today. - I know this thread is about Firefox, not Thunderbird, but Ubuntuzilla used to provide updates for both. - Moreover, Synaptic tells me that both, Firefox-Mozilla-Build v5.0 and Thunderbird-Mozilla-Build v3.1.11, are available in nanotube's Ubuntuzilla repository.

    Karl
    Last edited by Karlchen; June 26th, 2011 at 11:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,065
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Error updating Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlchen View Post
    This is what nanotube announced a while ago. Yet, I am not quite sure whether it is completely dead, because my Lucid Lynx (10.04.2) has received the Mozilla Thunderbird update v3.1.11 today. - I know this thread is about Firefox, not Thunderbird, but Ubuntuzilla used to provide updates for both. - Moreover, Synaptic tells me that both, Firefox-Mozilla-Build v5.0 and Thunderbird-Mozilla-Build v3.1.11, are available in nanotube's Ubuntuzilla repository.

    Karl
    yes, i have been updating it after all. ubuntu lucid hasn't been following the most recent mozilla releases... though i assumed it would since the "new policy" was to do so. so i suppose ubuntuzilla will continue to get the latest mozilla releases.

    "the rumors of ubuntuzilla's death have been greatly exaggerated" ? hehe.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •