Thread: Android 2.2 Hotspot HTC Legend Kubuntu 11.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Android 2.2 Hotspot HTC Legend Kubuntu 11.04

Hello!

I'm desperately trying to connect my ASUS UL30A with a Atheros (AR9285) chip to my HTC Legend with Android 2.2 so I can access the Internet over my phone.
    Each time I try to connect i get invalid password from wicd (I already removed the network manager, hoping i would work with wicd). I also tried installing some debs (kernel 3, headers, init-tools-3.13) but no luck so far. All the other wireless connections are working properly only the Android hotspot does not.
    Noticed that this is not a new problem, but is there a solution yet?
    It would be acceptable if there is a way to connect the Phone via USB and then use it to access the Internet.

greetings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Android 2.2 Hotspot HTC Legend Kubuntu 11.04

try barnacle, it uses the wifi works great with windows xp and ubuntu 10.04.
    However there is something...... your android must be rooted.
    I like unity, gnome and xfce

Beans

Seriously? Thought ubuntu (especially 11.04) is the problem here. The hotspot function came along with Android 2.2 and I can't imagine that there is something wrong.
    Last edited by dochegal; June 24th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

are you using the wireless hotspot function on the andriod, i have and htc desire and use this feature, double check the settings in the phones menu, you can set any password, it creates a wireless network just as a home router would do, can you access normal wireless networks from your kubuntu pc?
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

Yes, it is the function that came with android 2.2. The laptop was able to access all other access points / routers I had the password and IP-settings for. Only with the phone's hotspot I have to face those troubles. I'm sure all the settings are correct. Tried it with and without dhcp set on both devices. As far as I can tell - mostly from researching the web - it is a 11.04 related issue, apparently older versions work.
    It is the authentication that takes forever and then fails - wicd says wrong password, network manager just kept asking for it again and again and...
    Last edited by dochegal; June 24th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.