Thread: Subscription Notification Suggestion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Subscription Notification Suggestion

When I post on a thread, I want to subscribe to it. This works out well, but I don't want to get an email each and every time someone posts on the thread.

Could there be a new notification option so I only get emailed when the thread changes from "no new posts" to "new posts?" That way my email would tell me which threads I should go look at, but my inbox won't be flooded if it turns out to be a popular thread.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Subscription Notification Suggestion

Go to, http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editoptions, and set the "Default thread subscription mode" to "No email notifications" (look under the Messaging & Notification section 2nd down). That way whenever you subscribe to a thread no email is sent about replies to it.

You can individually set email notifications for a thread in your "Subscrbed threads" list with the menu at the bottom right of the page (tick the thread first) and choose a type under" Update subscription type"

Edit: the "menu" at the bottom right is a toolbar you need to click the arrow on to get the options you need.
    Last edited by yetiman64; June 24th, 2011 at 04:29 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But will I be emailed when my subscribed threads become new? I want to be emailed to know whether or not there are new posts, but not every time someone posts.
    So basically I get an email when the thread gets marked as having "New Posts."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by roololing View Post
    But will I be emailed when my subscribed threads become new? I want to be emailed to know whether or not there are new posts, but not every time someone posts.
    So basically I get an email when the thread gets marked as having "New Posts."
    Yes.

You'd have to edit each of your posts to change the subscription type to "no email notification" or which every one you want it set to.

If someone posts in a thread you have already read, it's marked as "new" so that feature is working as intended.

Personally, I have mine set for "no email notification" and I just check the usercp for new replies to threads I've posted in.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, thanks guys. I like the Edgar Allen Poe quote in your sig, btw.=D>