Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to dual-boot with XP after completely removing XP?

Beans

Re: How to dual-boot with XP after completely removing XP?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Does it say it is an upgrade version and not a full install? Upgrades cannot be used as a full install and have to have a valid version already installed.
    Okay that was an upgrade cd. I was mistaken. I got the complete windows xp installer, and it said 'No valid system partitions were found. Setup is unable to continue.' Same problem as before.
    Last edited by keelx; June 26th, 2011 at 12:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

System partition is a primary NTFS partition with the boot flag. Is the NTFS partition primary sda1 thru sda4?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

System partition is a primary NTFS partition with the boot flag. Is the NTFS partition primary sda1 thru sda4?
    Primary nfts partition with boot flag, dev/sda3. Does it need to be mounted or anything?
    Last edited by keelx; June 28th, 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I do not see the problem. But I have not installed XP for about 5 years.

Did you change BIOS to SATA and/or AHCI? Drive has to be in IDE mode or you have to add special drivers. When I changed my newer motherboard to AHCI mode my Ubuntu still booted and XP blue screened. It is easier to install the AHCI drivers during install but standard procedure is from a floppy.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I do not see the problem. But I have not installed XP for about 5 years.

Did you change BIOS to SATA and/or AHCI? Drive has to be in IDE mode or you have to add special drivers. When I changed my newer motherboard to AHCI mode my Ubuntu still booted and XP blue screened. It is easier to install the AHCI drivers during install but standard procedure is from a floppy.
    Sorry, but I honestly have no idea what any of that means. Point is now moot, though, I can't seem to find a full install cd anywhere.

Beans

By now you may have found your answer. I have been using XP inside VirtualBox for a long time. If you still haven't been able to install it, try looking for a still-packaged XP that you can buy. They sometimes turn up at swap meets, or sometimes computer shops still have some on the shelves. These have never been used, and are not 'pirated'. Even if you had your own complete install disk that came with your computer, it probably wouldn't install in VirtualBox, because it is designed to install in the computer that it came with. The Vbox (even though it is installed in your computer) is in fact a different computer, (a "virtual" computer).

I do not allow my VBox windows installation to access the internet. Don't need to, when Linux is there. And Windows is just not ready for the internet - it is too suceptible to hackers, etc. in my opinion. But I thought I would need it from time to time.

The truth is I almost never use it. Linux does nearkly everything better anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12