Thread: How do I manage versions for Ubuntu and Mythbuntu

Beans

How do I manage versions for Ubuntu and Mythbuntu

I am running my media-PC with 10.04 LTS and I would like to jump up to the next LTS - once time is ripe, meanwhile I can see that 0.24 and stuff is also available for that one. At the same time I am running Ubuntu on a laptop and desktop machines. I want to get the latest Ubuntu on them

I had this dilemma in the past with the compability of the myth versions (at that time I was not with mythbuntu). Can I somehow make sure that my laptop and desktop that are now being updated to Ubuntu 11.04 will work with the backend on my mythbuntu 10.04 having same versions of frontends?

I have installed mythbuntu-repos.deb on them, but I do not have the mythbuntu-control-center there so that I can choose the version to follow

What should I do - or am I making a fuss out of nothing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I manage versions for Ubuntu and Mythbuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Saubazi View Post
    I am running my media-PC with 10.04 LTS and I would like to jump up to the next LTS - once time is ripe, meanwhile I can see that 0.24 and stuff is also available for that one. At the same time I am running Ubuntu on a laptop and desktop machines. I want to get the latest Ubuntu on them

I had this dilemma in the past with the compability of the myth versions (at that time I was not with mythbuntu). Can I somehow make sure that my laptop and desktop that are now being updated to Ubuntu 11.04 will work with the backend on my mythbuntu 10.04 having same versions of frontends?

I have installed mythbuntu-repos.deb on them, but I do not have the mythbuntu-control-center there so that I can choose the version to follow

What should I do - or am I making a fuss out of nothing?
    You can install mythbuntu-control-centre on Ubuntu (from the repositories) or use 'dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos' to configure mythbuntu-repos.

You will need to be on the same version of each. 10.04 shipped with 0.23, but will have all mythtv releases up until the version that ships with 12.04 (LTS).
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Thanks that was exactly what I wanted to know...

I jumped yesterday to 0.24 on my LTS and had some grief, but I think I made it now (still holding the breath). I do not know if the machines running Ubuntu desktop run with older version - as if mythbuntu 11.04 comes out with 0.24, whether it or ubuntu would run the older 0.23 anymore - or even have packages for them, so I figured that with LTS as backend I am forced to go for the latest stable (which is a sort of minimum for newer releases).

Anyway this is what I want - have the latest myth but not need to update OS everytime. So now I can wait for the next LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Saubazi View Post
    Thanks that was exactly what I wanted to know...

I jumped yesterday to 0.24 on my LTS and had some grief, but I think I made it now (still holding the breath). I do not know if the machines running Ubuntu desktop run with older version - as if mythbuntu 11.04 comes out with 0.24, whether it or ubuntu would run the older 0.23 anymore - or even have packages for them, so I figured that with LTS as backend I am forced to go for the latest stable (which is a sort of minimum for newer releases).

Anyway this is what I want - have the latest myth but not need to update OS everytime. So now I can wait for the next LTS.
    That is what we wanted too
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?