Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: PCLinuxOS

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: PCLinuxOS

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    Downloading it now!
    Edit: After a bad CD, and downloading a new iso, I finally got it installed. Has the nice brushed silver wallpaper. A lighter theme than XUBUNTU. So far so good. Looks like a good replacement for gnome.
    I doubt that I'll be trying the Xfce version, but I'm kinda interested to see how it turns out for you, ubume2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

=malspa;11074194]I doubt that I'll be trying the Xfce version, but I'm kinda interested to see how it turns out for you, ubume2.
    Been writing down my impressions. Haven't had it long enough to tell if it is going to start crashing.
    COMMENTS ON PHOENIX

Once I downloaded another iso, got it written to CD, the install went flawlessly.
    Fast bootup time.

Default desktop has panel on top and bottom. easy to get around. default wallpaper brushed silver--a nice,
    lighter theme than Xubuntu/Ubuntu XFCE.

Libre Office download and installed okay through lomanager. Some had reported problems on KDE earlier.

Flashplugin is by default installed.

Thunderbird is installed by default. That is my favorite mail client. I transferred thunderbird files from Lucid Lynx to Phoenix--thunderbird works so far

Firefox 5 installed by default. no complaints so far.

The default music player is "Listen Music Player". I haven't fiddled with it. I prefer Banshee set up for my internet radio stations. I downloaded Banshee and transferred banshee-1 folder from Lucid Lynx to Phoenix--Banshee works flawlessly so far.

With KDE I had to change repository to get it to update. With Phoenix default repository was okay. Downloading and installing apps no problem.

Right click on "home" on desktop responds slowly.. Edit: Just not accustomed to the whole right click thingy.

With first bootup, all partitions, usb devices show up on Desktop. Desktop looked cluttered, but this small problem can be easily remedied under Desktop settings Icons.

Did some app keyboard shortcuts. Easy to do. Fast response time

Default launchers on top panel: terminal,mousepad, file manager, synaptic, control center, browser. Response time is fast. Top panel also includes switch user, volume control, network, time, Log Out Dialog.

Lower panel default show desktop, weather, screenshot, workspace switcher, Trash

I haven't fiddled with Compiz. Cairo-Dock is available in the repository, if you like an alternative to the bottom panel.

Phoenix is easily configurable. It appears that Phoenix has more apps than Xubuntu. They are otherwise pretty comparable. I just prefer the lighter theming of Phoenix, and am too lazy to configure the appearance of Ubuntu XFCE to my liking.
    I think Phoenix could be a "keeper", and an alternative to gnome. Xubuntu is fine too. Being fairly new to KDE, I also find PCLOS KDE a pleasure to use.

Edit: I download a PCLINUX Magazine on XFCE, and couldn't find a pdf reader. Eventually, I installed FoxitReader. I had problems using epdfviewer. Synaptic does offer the Adobe Reader.

Just think PCLOS is really beginning to shine. Been with Ubuntu for 5 years, but watch out for PCLOS and Texstar & his staff.

Hope my comments from an "always newbie" helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ubume2; July 22nd, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

<duplicate> an editing glitch:me
    Last edited by ubume2; July 22nd, 2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: duplicate

Beans

@ubume2
    I think Phoenix could be a "keeper", and an alternative to gnome.
    I ran it off the LiveCD and it was fairly responsive under those conditions. Xfce sure looks like a good replacement for Gnome 2.
    How do you think it will run if you load it up with some of the bigger, heavier applications?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by k357k9 View Post
    @ubume2

I ran it off the LiveCD and it was fairly responsive under those conditions. Xfce sure looks like a good replacement for Gnome 2.
    How do you think it will run if you load it up with some of the bigger, heavier applications?
    With Libre-Office Suite it ran okay. Haven't tried any other heavy apps. I suspect it wouldn't be quite as lightning fast.
    Guess, Banshee is heavy. It ran well.

Got it installed on an old Acer 3680 500meg ram laptop. Does fine. Recognized my Atheros 324X wireless card right away.
    Last edited by ubume2; July 24th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.

Beans

@ubume2
    Thanks.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789