Thread: Can't highlight text for cut and paste

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can't highlight text for cut and paste

Greetings,

Just when a sound problem occurs, another annoying productivity killer happens. I cannot successfully select text in a terminal window or in gedit. The text gets highlighted, then I release the mouse button. The srceen blinks and the highlight disappears. My first suspect is the cntl key. Not that it could have anything to do with it except that I used a gnome configuration that when the cntl was pressed, a event was displayed on the screen that would show me where the cursor key was. I can't remember/find that setting to shut it off.

So if I can figure out where that setting is to shut off cntl key highlighting that would be nice and if it reset that behavior of my terminals back to normal. that would be even better . Right now I could just use a suggestion.

I'm using Meerkat 10.10
    kernel" 2.6.35-28-generic
    gnome: 2.32

Tia
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)

Beans

Re: Can't highlight text for cut and paste

Mouse Preferences.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks

Still have the highlighting problem though. Have tried clear and reset command form the terminal prompt and from pull down menus. No luck.
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Beans
    Distro

I still need help with this strange problem. I notice that I cannot highlight text in the synaptic search box. Could this be an issue within the whole desktop environment?

Bumpity bump please

Beans
    Distro

No help out there? This is annoying problem. Anybody give me a Bump?
    Bump.

Bumpity Bump
    Last edited by skaramanger; July 19th, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I really would very much like to have a bump Please?

Beans
    Distro

Ok I did discover what the problem is. I'm usering glipper and clipboard managing tool. Apparently in the preferences I was telling it to manager the mark/middle mouse button clipboard. So I unclicked that option and right now my terminal functionality has returned to normal.

<Solved>

Beans

Had the exact same problem but my solution is a tiny bit different. By the simple access of this forum, the problem was gone.
    Thank you sorcerer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.