Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRUB Bootup Error

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: GRUB Bootup Error

Thanks for marking this Solved.

To answer your question:

you only need to backup the root.disk not the swap disk (though you could also make a copy just to have one).

If you are making frequent changes to the Ubuntu install such as downloading and installing software, saving files etc. then backups of the root.disk should be ongoing because the root.disk is being constantly modified.

If, however, you are saving personal files outside the root.disk then you can probably do backups less frequently since not much is changing and because backing up like this also means backing up any free space on the root.disk.

Plus, as you saw, it is a rather large file!

If, at some point, you would be interested in migrating the Wubi install to a regular partition on your hard-drive, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Wubi installs are great for trying/testing another operating system in a relatively safe way, but Wubi was never intended for long-term usage.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Thanks for marking this Solved.

To answer your question:

you only need to backup the root.disk not the swap disk (though you could also make a copy just to have one).

If you are making frequent changes to the Ubuntu install such as downloading and installing software, saving files etc. then backups of the root.disk should be ongoing because the root.disk is being constantly modified.

If, however, you are saving personal files outside the root.disk then you can probably do backups less frequently since not much is changing and because backing up like this also means backing up any free space on the root.disk.

Plus, as you saw, it is a rather large file!

If, at some point, you would be interested in migrating the Wubi install to a regular partition on your hard-drive, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Wubi installs are great for trying/testing another operating system in a relatively safe way, but Wubi was never intended for long-term usage.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.
    Awesome I will definitely ask if I need to. Is it possible to have Windows 7 & Ubuntu & Kubuntu installed with wuibi or a program like that?

Beans

I had the same problem as this guy, I have followed the instructions of Rubi and Im replying from ubuntu, thanks mate for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Banyo View Post
    I had the same problem as this guy, I have followed the instructions of Rubi and Im replying from ubuntu, thanks mate for your help
    Hi and welcome to the forums Banyo

Glad you found this thread and that the solution worked for you.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12