Thread: Cap Lock will not stay turn off on HP TX2510Z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cap Lock will not stay turn off on HP TX2510Z

HI I own a HP TX2510Z laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 and I been having problem with the Keyboard's cap lock never turning off. It just keep flicking on and off which will cause an anyance when typing as ever other letter will be capitalize. It dose it as well when it boot up as well so I don't think it a problem with Ubuntu, but a hardware issue. I unpluged the Keyboard from the laptop and that seems to stop it, but when I plug it back in, it start to turn off and on the keyboard again. I was able to disable it with ubuntu, but I would like to know what is causeing the probem and a possible fix? I may need to replace, but I don't really want to buy a $30 to do so....I already had to replace the wacom pen so some of you may understand why....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cap Lock will not stay turn off on HP TX2510Z

Hi Rehellio,

It does sound like a "sticky" key doesn't it?

I'd google for fixing laptop keys. You're doing the first step by taking the keyboard out: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disass...000-tablet-pc/

My cat use to attack one of my old laptops. I'd walk into the room and discover she had pried out several keys. At least on that laptop underneath the keys were several pieces of plastic that fit together like a little jigsaw puzzle and formed a little hinge/spring. I figured out how to put them back together and was able to fix the keys. A couple may have been chewed a little but I got them all working. She was hooking a claw or two under the key and prying it off.

So if you're slow, methodical, and careful you may be able to fix it. Likely something wedged in there or maybe something has gotten dirty/sticky. Just try to do a little research. Like what's good for cleaning the pieces?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Cap Lock will not stay turn off on HP TX2510Z

Yeah, That what I'm thinking about doing on my next day off of work later thsi week. I'll most likely take every key out, clean it with an Q-Tip and alcohol and put them back together to see if that solves the problem.

edit: btw thanks for the link about taking apart my laptop. ^^
    Last edited by Rehellio; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:18 AM.