Thread: IP address and uploading.com

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

IP address and uploading.com

Whenever I try to download something of uploading.com it says my IP address is downloading something already. This happens even when I am the only computer on the network and I turn of wireless and connect via ethernet. Is it just them trying to make me upgrade to premium membership or could someone steal my IP address. Oh it always occurs even when I turn of my router and check if the IP address has changed. Anyone any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: IP address and uploading.com

There are several ways that you can appear to be sharing an IP address.

But my guess in this case is that they are probably just trying to get you to upgrade. All of these download type sites use various tricks to hassle non-paying users into becoming paying users. The most common is forcing you to wait to download. There are some though where it's practically impossible to download anything because they always have some excuse...

The ones where I consistently find it easy to download are RapidShare, MegaUpload and MediaFire. Many of the others are like pulling teeth and it's better to not waste your time.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: IP address and uploading.com

Thanks, I hope you are right as I am feeling a bit paranoid about my security at the moment because of it... I have tried everything to find out what is happening and to bolster security. I keep checking the MAC addresses on my router but they don't seem to be any that shouldn't be there!!!!