Thread: unity dash search window unresponsive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

unity dash search window unresponsive

In the Unity desktop pressing the Super/Win key or clicking on the Unbuntu logo at the top-left corner of the screen opens the Dash, where you search for applications that are not graphically listed. Starting today, I can no longer enter any text in the Unity Dash search dialog window, effectively disabling a quick search.

I have seen a bug report for this

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/769279

but it's listed as low priority. Now I am trying to give Unity an honest effort to adapt to it, and I don't think this broken feature is a low priority, since it's one of the immediate methods for locating tools that are not displayed. I would prefer to see full menus by default, and not have my selection dumbed-down or pretty-fied for me. A broken search makes Unity even harder to adjust to.

Is anyone else having this symptom or know a fix? Don't suggest alternate ways to find my tools. I know what they are. The Dash quick search is supposed to be the "convenient" method. Yeah, and I know I can always revert to "Unbuntu Classic." But that will go away with Oneiric, so I'm trying to get used to Unity.

Beans

Re: unity dash search window unresponsive

Does the run window (Alt+F2) work? Try opening that and typing "gnome-panel". If it works, you get the old panel back with the old menu as a temporary workaround, and you can add a symptom to the Bug thread.

As far as a solution, I have none. Hopefully someone else will. Meanwhile, if you don't mind losing any custom Compiz settings, try "compiz --reset" and see if that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Larkspur,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is weird. The Alt-F2 Run Command dialog now seems to be functioning as a search window. I started entering, "find..." and launchers began to appear beneath the dialog. That's not what I remember the Alt-F2 window behavior to be (not sure.) The Unity "Run Command" tool is not the same as the old Run dialog, I remember now...

Did you mean try "unity --reset" ? I think compiz accepts the --replace command. The reset appeared to freeze, where I killed it. Should I have waited several minutes?

rtimai@rtimai-HP-dv6-3012he:~$ unity --reset &
    [1] 4118
    rtimai@rtimai-HP-dv6-3012he:~$ Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/unity", line 198, in <module>
    reset_unity_compiz_profile ()
    File "/usr/bin/unity", line 83, in reset_unity_compiz_profile
    if current_profile_gconfvalue.get_string() == 'unity':
    AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'get_string'
    ^C
    [1]+ Exit 1 unity --reset
    rtimai@rtimai-HP-dv6-3012he:~$

Beans
    Distro

Just opened Ctrl-Alt-T Terminal and ran "compiz --replace &" and the screen reset with windows missing all the controls, including the top panel, and the launcher side bar gone. Had to Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc (restarts Xorg?)

Well. THAT was a bust. Do I have some kind of underlying config problem, I wonder? Yes, I upgraded, not a clean install.

Beans
    Distro

After restarting I was able to enter text in the Dash search box. Don't know what caused the earlier failure, but it seems to be working now after restarting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rtimai View Post
    Yes, I upgraded, not a clean install.
    That might be the culprit. A lot of people are having trouble with upgrades, as you've no doubt seen. If you still can, open a guest session and see if the dash works in that. If so, we'll be a bit further along.

In answer to your question, yes, I did mean "compiz --reset": it works like "compiz --replace", but instead of simply restarting, it restores the default settings. I thought that maybe one of your compiz settings had caused some conflict that led to this dash problem. Did you use ccsm much in your previous install?

EDIT: Glad you got it sorted out!

Beans
    Distro

Larkspur,

Not only is my scenario an upgrade, but I installed Gnome 3, then discovered that it overwrote some critical settings in the Unity configuration. I had the missing taskbar and launcher syndrome. Removing Gnome 3 didn't reverse the symptoms. But, happily, all that gradually got fixed by the incremental updates that followed in the weeks after.

I THINK my only remaining issues have to do with Compiz (or Unity, however you want to look at it) becoming unresponsive when I attempt to reset/replace it, as I described above. Also, when I run Compizconfig Settings Manager the top panel often gets corrupted. Actually, the buttons are all still there, and I can "feel around" for them by right-clicking usually, and reboot. BTW I don't like simply restarting the display manager (Alt-Ctrl-Bksp) any more because it moves the display to tty8 (and increments to the next tty on each restart.)

Beans
    Distro

Larkspur,

Wanted to finish answering your questions. I only used CCSM after upgrading to 11.04. I only ran Metacity before that. Also, I ran a guest session, and Dash search works normally. As for "compiz --restart" I'm a little hesitant to run it, since everything appears to be working. Ah, but could be, eventually curiosity will get the better of me...