Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXT4 vs NTFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

EXT4 vs NTFS

Hey guys,
    i have recently migrated from windows to ubuntu as the only operating system on my computer. I have several partitions on my hard disk and except the filesystem partition, the rest are in ntfs format. What would you advice:
    1 Should i convert them from ntfs to ext4 or not?
    2 what are the advantages of ext4 over ntfs?

Thanx

Beans

Re: EXT4 vs NTFS

I've experienced 70-90mbps transfer speeds with ext4/ubuntu against 40-60mpbs ntfs/windows [same drive]
    ext4 imo is a definite for running ubuntu..
    previously lmn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you are not running Windows on that machine it would be inadvisable to keep a partition formatted NTFS. If the filesystem were to become damaged, it would need Windows' chkdsk to repair it. Linux tools for NTFS are not as comprehensive. For an Ubuntu-only system I would use ext3 or ext4 only.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
    I've experienced 70-90mbps transfer speeds with ext4/ubuntu against 40-60mpbs ntfs/windows [same drive]
    ext4 imo is a definite for running ubuntu..
    How about stability,integrity of files etc?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Read this to find out the differences: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...4_vs_ntfs.html

In real world usage the big thing you will notice when comparing NTFS to Ext4 is that Ext4 will not deteriorate in performance with time. You can install and then use for several years with hardly any deterioration in performance.

With NTFS, you really should reformat and reinstall the OS about once a year because with continued use performance continues to decline. I've had Windows XP installs that moved at a snails pace after running for 3 years. A reformat and reinstall and it was snappy again for a little while.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by subchief View Post
    Better, IMHO as ext4 handles data in a more organized way but as stated above, if you are not sharing a partition with Windows it is not advisable and not much point to keep the NTFS and I would suggest re-formatting to ext4.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by subchief View Post
    I think stability and integrity are involved with the quality of hard drive. I don't think I've had any problems like these which are a result of the type of file system.
    previously lmn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nrundy View Post
    Read this to find out the differences: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...4_vs_ntfs.html

In real world usage the big thing you will notice when comparing NTFS to Ext4 is that Ext4 will not deteriorate in performance with time. You can install and then use for several years with hardly any deterioration in performance.

With NTFS, you really should reformat and reinstall the OS about once a year because with continued use performance continues to decline. I've had Windows XP installs that moved at a snails pace after running for 3 years. A reformat and reinstall and it was snappy again for a little while.
    Thanx...That article is an eye opener. And given the general direction of comments, i think it would be wise for me to format to ext4 format to avoid the possibility of being unable to repair the ntfs partition as i dont have a windows os installed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would recommend you do a full install. That is, reinstall Ubuntu and during installation tell ubuntu to use the whole disk. Of course make sure you back up your /Home folder to CD/DVD before doing a complete reinstall.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans

I use 4 partitions with NTFS on them and 2 with EST4. I only keep the NTFS so that the single windows machine can access the files, as it is easier for linux to use NTFS then windows to use EXT4.

Been doing this for about 2 years now. If you do not have any windows machines that need to access the data on the NTFS parts then i would do one of the following :

copy the data from one partition at a time to another partition, then format the empty one to EXT4. Then copy the data back if needed. Do the same for all the rest.

If you can back up all the data on the NTFS partitions, ( to another drive which you can disconnect ) , then use geparted live cd and rearrange the partitions as you like - delete some - reformat the ones you keep to EXT4.

Or just keep on using them as they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast