Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dualboot install windows7 ubuntu11.04 alternate install cd

Beans

Question dualboot install windows7 ubuntu11.04 alternate install cd

Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I've had a laptop with Fedora5 and 7, and recently installed ubuntu on the same machine, but I have totally broke it trying to make more room. I didn't allocate enough disk space to begin with. Anyways what I really need is some advice on dual booting windows 7 and ubuntu11.04 on a differnt laptop. It has windows factory instaled and I have a ubuntu11.04 alternate install disk. The computer has a 250gb hd and windows is taking up about 110gb total.I would like to have around 200gb for windows and about 50gb for ubuntu.I have never installed a dualboot machine and I don't want to mess up my windows instal, since I don't have a windows install disk. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: dualboot install windows7 ubuntu11.04 alternate install cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I found this article very useful for a Maverick Meerkat/Windows 7 dual boot. I imagine most of the theory would apply to 11.04/Win7 too.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi and welcome to the forums brianbeswick

I think you will find the information you need in the following links:
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/index.html
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DualBoot/Windows

You can create restore disks for Windows following this guide:
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm

Most important of all before you start, backups!

Beans

I guess all windows 7, ubuntu natty 11.04 questions have been answered. my hdd is also 250gb and the laptop came with windows 7 preinstalled. am running natty narwhal and windows 7 on same pc. more so i use nattty to access my in the windows (ntfs) partition. welcome to ubuntu.
    I used windows xp and liked it, i used windows 7 and loved it but in ubuntu/linux, i have found a life partner.....

Beans

Talking Re: dualboot install windows7 ubuntu11.04 alternate install cd

Thanx guys, I did find the articles you are referring to. And I was able to shrink my windows partiton and install ubuntu. Thats how i'm posting this, and why it took so long to reply. so far so good, but I'm having trouble with my display. My laptop monitor is cracked and I'm running an external monitor. It seems to be working except not all of the windows are 100% in the workspace. When I click on the icon to change work spaces I can see the rest of the window in the other workspaces. I hope you can understand all that. And again thanx for the info. much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Good to hear you got the install doing what you wanted. The windows-between-workspaces is an Ubuntu feature desinged so that you can easily transfer your open programmes or windows between virtual desktops (i.e. workspaces). If you want your windows to be entirely on one workspace, click the top menu, and drag the window to where you want it. Alternatively, if you double click the window menu-bar at the top, it will maximise the window to its current workspace, so that the entire window will be on the one desktop.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans

Thanx again. On my older dell (farewell) with ubuntu 11.04 I never noticed not all of the windows not being entirely in the same workspace.huh?Anyways hows the XFCE desktop. I've seen an example awhile back and thought about it. I really liked kde on my fedra machine and thought about FC14. The desktop i have now isn"t the same as the one one on my dell. Ghnome is what it had. I'm not sure what I did different but its not ghnome I don"t think. Oh well thanx . Oh ya, can I run xfce on this install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by brianbeswick View Post
    Thanx again. On my older dell (farewell) with ubuntu 11.04 I never noticed not all of the windows not being entirely in the same workspace.huh?Anyways hows the XFCE desktop. I've seen an example awhile back and thought about it. I really liked kde on my fedra machine and thought about FC14. The desktop i have now isn"t the same as the one one on my dell. Ghnome is what it had. I'm not sure what I did different but its not ghnome I don"t think. Oh well thanx . Oh ya, can I run xfce on this install?
    Hi, yes you can run xfce, just install if from synaptic or software center.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, yes you can run xfce, just install if from synaptic or software center.
    Cool Thanx! On my fedora install I could run kde or Ghnome at the login screen. Will this be the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast